EASY QUESTION solving system of linear inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the geometric interpretation of systems of linear equations and inequalities. The concept of half-space is introduced, where a linear classification object is used to determine which points lie above, below, or on the plane. The conversation also mentions the importance of defining the normal vector and obtaining an equation for the linear object in order to apply this concept visually.
fleazo
Hello, I am stuck on something so simple. The problem is i have a great difficulty with the geometric interpretation of things.So if I have a system of linear equations in three unknowns, like for example this:

-x - 2y + z = 0
x - 3y - 2z = 0this is just a simple system of homogeneous equations. I can use simple Gaussian elimination to solve it. There's an infinite number of solutions to this and I can see the geometric reason: both of these equations represent a plane in space through the origin. The intersection of these two planes is a line, and there are an infinite number of points on that line.I am starting to have difficulty when I think of solving this:

-x - 2y + z > 0
x - 3y - 2z > 0Here it's the same equations only inequalities. I don't know how to envision this. When I think of the first inequality for example, I think this will be all the points (x,y,z) in the plane (-x -2y + z=0) that are above the line (2y + x). But I'm not sure. How do I represent a solution that satisfies these inequalities? I imagine I first solve the associated homogeneous equations that are above. Then where do I go from there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey fleazo.

The best to think about this is to get an idea of the half-space.

The half-space is basically a way to say that you have a linear classification object (i.e. a plane in some number of positive dimensions that your matrix represents) and then you figure out what lies below it and in front of it.

Here is the basic idea of how you do with geometry:

The general plane equation is given by n . (r - r0) = 0 where n is the normal vector to the plane, r is a general variable point and r0 is one point on the plane.

If something is positive (i.e. your whole thing is > 0) then it means that n . (r - r0) > 0. If it's < 0, then it means n . (r - r0) < 0).

As long as you have your normal defined to be the way you intend it, then you can simply find out when r > 0, r < 0, and equal to 0 (i.e. lies on the plane).

So in the context of your question, the first thing you have to do is find the object and this is done by treating your system to be equal to 0 rather than less than or greater than zero.

Once you do this, you can then resort to using the above classification to say whether a point will be greater or less than zero if it's not on the plane.

If you want to do this visually, you draw or get a graph of the linear object and then see how it divides the space (or the subspace of your space: especially if you have linear dependence or something similar).

Once you do that, obtain an equation of your linear object in the form of n . (r - r0) and test whether it's positive or negative.

As long as you get an expression for ax + by + cz + d = 0, you will always be able to do the above.

1. What are linear inequalities?

Linear inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two values using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. They can also involve variables and can be graphed on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you solve a system of linear inequalities?

To solve a system of linear inequalities, you must first graph each inequality on the same coordinate plane. The solution will be the region where all of the inequalities overlap. This region can be expressed using coordinates or as an inequality statement.

3. What is the difference between a system of linear inequalities and a system of linear equations?

A system of linear inequalities involves inequalities (>, <, ≤, ≥) while a system of linear equations involves equal signs (=). In a system of linear inequalities, the solution is a region, while in a system of linear equations, the solution is a single point.

4. Can you solve a system of linear inequalities with more than two variables?

Yes, a system of linear inequalities can have any number of variables. The process for solving is the same as with two variables - graph each inequality and find the overlapping region.

5. How do you know if a point is a solution to a system of linear inequalities?

A point is a solution to a system of linear inequalities if it satisfies all of the inequalities in the system. This means that when the point is substituted into each inequality, the inequality will be true.