Summer research opportunities

In summary: I'm not sure how the numbers have changed recently, but I would definitely check out their website and see if it's a program you're interested in.
lasymphonie
I'm currently looking at research opportunities for next summer. I was wondering if people here could give some recommendations? I'm interested in particle physics, geophysics (mostly solid Earth and mantle dynamics sort of stuff), quantum physics, astronomy (including instrumentation) and accelerator physics. I'd be interested at looking at programs which aren't necessarily REUs, but I'll consider almost anything.

Here are some stats for reference:
GPA: mid 3.6s before this semester, but after this semester, I'm predicting it will be between high 3.6s and 3.8 (this semester's going a lot better than last year).
Science GPA: worse - low 3.5s because I barely took science classes but did badly in one last year, so this should be high 3.5s to high 3.7s by the end of this semester.
Research experience: a summer of research, a semester and counting of research in a different lab. No publications at present.
School: Top ivy league.

I'm female, if that opens more opportunities. Does anyone have any recommendations of what to look into?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have any programs in-particular to suggest, but on the off chance you are not familiar with this search engine, you will find it very helpful:
http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/reu_search.cfm

There are a good number of programs that cover your interest, though they tend to be more competitive than some of the engineering or chemistry programs. You have good qualifications though (better than mine), so just apply to wherever floats your boat (and as many as possible!). Good luck

I've heard about SURF, and I'm really interested! Does anyone know how many non Caltech students they usually take?

lasymphonie said:
I've heard about SURF, and I'm really interested! Does anyone know how many non Caltech students they usually take?

When I did it, the majority of people in my small subsector were non-caltech students.

1. What are summer research opportunities?

Summer research opportunities are programs or projects that allow students to gain hands-on experience and conduct scientific research during the summer months. These opportunities can be offered by universities, research institutions, or government agencies.

2. Who is eligible for summer research opportunities?

Eligibility for summer research opportunities can vary depending on the specific program or project. Some opportunities may be limited to undergraduate or graduate students, while others may be open to high school students or individuals from underrepresented groups in science. It is important to carefully review the eligibility requirements of each opportunity before applying.

3. How can I find summer research opportunities?

There are several ways to find summer research opportunities. You can search online for programs or projects that align with your research interests, check with your university or college for any available opportunities, or reach out to professors or researchers in your field of interest to inquire about potential opportunities. Additionally, professional societies and organizations often offer lists of summer research opportunities for students.

4. What can I expect from a summer research opportunity?

Summer research opportunities can vary in terms of duration, structure, and expectations. However, most opportunities will involve working closely with a mentor or research team, conducting experiments or data analysis, and presenting your findings at the end of the program. You can also expect to gain valuable skills and knowledge in your field of study, as well as networking opportunities with other researchers and professionals.

5. Are summer research opportunities paid?

Not all summer research opportunities are paid, but many do offer some form of compensation such as a stipend or housing and transportation expenses. Some opportunities may also offer academic credit or scholarships. It is important to research the specific program or project to determine if there is any form of compensation available and what the application process may entail.