The point of force application

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a cylindrical 6 axis force sensor and how to find the point of force application using the data from the sensor. The equations for torque are mentioned, but it is noted that the variables in the equations vanish when trying to solve for the point of force application. A solution is suggested to find a perpendicular vector in order to determine a specific point on the line of valid answers.
The-alexandra

Homework Statement

Hello everyone :smile:
I have got a cylindrical 6 axis force sensor (so I have the force Fx, Fy,Fz and torque Tx, Ty, Tz). Using these data I don’t know how I can find the point of force application.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I try this
The torque can be defined as the cross product I (Position vector) and F(force)
Tx,y,z=Ix,y,z ^Fx,y,z
So, I have 3 equations
Tx=IyFz-IzFy
Ty=IzFx-IxFz
Tz=IxFy-IyFx
But, when I solve the equation(in order to find Ix, Iy and Iz) , the variables in the equation vanish…

Do you have an idea how find this point.
Really thanks so much
Alexandra :shy:

Attachments

• cylindrical.bmp
    224.6 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
You can get the lever arms from the force and torque values.

yes. if you see I try this is in "The attempt at a solution"
but its not possible fin Ix, Iy and Iz

Isn't torque r crossproduct F?

yes I call I the Position vector.. in your case r .. the 2 arethe same..

The-alexandra said:
But, when I solve the equation(in order to find Ix, Iy and Iz) , the variables in the equation vanish…
You can't expect it to give a specific vector for I. Suppose a solution is force G acting through the point r. Let s be any vector collinear with G. Then a force G acting through the point r+s is also a solution (indeed, the same solution really).
One way to fix that is to add the equation I.F = 0

hi.
if I understand you told me
Ixyz . Fxyz = 0
in order to find a colinear vector. ??

The-alexandra said:
hi.
if I understand you told me
Ixyz . Fxyz = 0
in order to find a colinear vector. ??
No, not in order to find a collinear vector; in order to find a perpendicular one.
Consider a force F acting through some point in an object. You could shift the point of application to anywhere in that same straight line and it would be exactly the same. I.e. a force acts through a line rather than through any specific point of the line. That's why your original equations were not enough to pin down a point.
Now, any I satisfying your equations would be a perfectly good answer. I merely proposed one way of selecting a specific point from that whole line of valid answers, namely, the point that made the I vector orthogonal to the F vector.

What is the point of force application?

The point of force application refers to the location where a force is applied to an object. This can be a specific point on the object itself or a point where the force is being exerted on the object by an external source.

Why is it important to know the point of force application?

Understanding the point of force application is crucial in determining the effects of a force on an object. It helps us calculate the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as its impact on the object's motion and stability.

What factors can affect the point of force application?

The point of force application can be influenced by various factors such as the orientation and shape of the object, the direction and magnitude of the force, and the type of surface or material the force is being applied to.

How can the point of force application be determined?

The point of force application can be determined by using mathematical equations or diagrams that take into account the factors mentioned above. It can also be determined through experimentation and trial and error.

What are some real-life examples of the point of force application?

Some examples of the point of force application in everyday life include pushing a door open, throwing a ball, or lifting a book off a table. In all of these scenarios, the point of force application plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of the force's impact on the object.