Is it possible to get an explicit solution for this?

• Thread starter pondering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explicit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution for the equation x = 10logx + 30, where log is log base 10. The solution requires the use of the Lambert W function and involves converting the log to base "e" and rearranging the equation to make use of the function. The approximate solutions are 0.0001 and 46.6925.
pondering
x = 10logx + 30 (log is log base 10)
I cannot get to anything other than this implicit solution. By trial and error I can tell that x must be slightly more than 1/1000 but I would like to get an exact answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need a function such as the Lambert W function to get an explicit solution. Real solution are approximately .0001 and 46.6925.

Thanks for the reply. I know you probably don't want to give me the answer right out but in looking at that Wikipedia article I still don't see how to do it. I am not able to get both x's on the same side in any manner resembling the examples from the article.

It can be a little tricky. These log's are base e.

x = (10/log(10))log(x) + 30
(-log(10)/10)x=-log(x)+30(-log(10)/10)
(-log(10)/10)x+log(x)=log(10^-3)
(-log(10)/10)x+log((-log(10)/10)x)-log(-log(10)/10)=log(10^-3)
(-log(10)/10)x+log((-log(10)/10)x)=log(-log(10)/10^4)
(-log(10)/10)x=W(-log(10)/10^4)
x=(-10/log(10))W(-log(10)/10^4)

There are log's of negative numbers in there.For finding numerical answers, you can improve your guess systematically
guess 50
x = 10log10(x) + 30
guess 0
x=10^(x/10-3)

Then in each case put the guess into the right hand side over and over until it changes very little.
ie
10log10(50) + 30~46.9897000
10log10(46.9897000) + 30~46.7200267
~46.6950
and so forth

pondering said:
Thanks for the reply. I know you probably don't want to give me the answer right out but in looking at that Wikipedia article I still don't see how to do it. I am not able to get both x's on the same side in any manner resembling the examples from the article.

First convert your log to base "e", and then write your equation in the form,

[tex]\ln(x) = ax + b[/tex]

Now exponentiate both sided and put it in the form,

[tex]x = e^b \, e^{ax}[/tex]

Finally mult both sides by (-a) and rearrange into the form,

[tex] (-ax) e^{-ax} = k[/tex]

It should then be straightforward to use the Lambert W function.

Last edited:

1. Is it possible to get an explicit solution for this?

The possibility of obtaining an explicit solution for a specific problem depends on various factors such as the complexity of the problem, available data, and mathematical tools. In some cases, it is possible to find an explicit solution, while in others, only numerical approximations can be obtained.

2. What is an explicit solution?

An explicit solution is a mathematical expression that directly gives the solution to a problem. It is usually in terms of known variables and can be easily computed. An example of an explicit solution is the quadratic formula for solving a quadratic equation.

3. How is an explicit solution different from an implicit solution?

An explicit solution is a direct mathematical expression that gives the solution to a problem, while an implicit solution is an equation that relates the variables in the problem without giving a direct solution. Implicit solutions often require further manipulation to obtain a specific solution.

4. Can we always find an explicit solution for a problem?

No, not all problems have explicit solutions. Some problems are too complex to be solved analytically, and only numerical approximations can be obtained. In such cases, numerical methods, such as iterative algorithms, are used to find approximate solutions.

5. What are some examples of problems that have explicit solutions?

Problems in algebra, calculus, and differential equations often have explicit solutions. For example, finding the roots of a quadratic equation, solving a system of linear equations, and finding the anti-derivative of a function are all problems that have explicit solutions.