Reading Math & Science Textbooks: Theory or Problems First?

• Thread starter kdinser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, you should try to understand the nature of the problems before you'll have a chance to understand the theory in a physics or math textbook. This seems backwards from most people, who usually try to understand the theory before trying to solve the problems. This could be because trying to solve the problems first helps to develop a mental model of the problem.
kdinser
Just for curiosities sake, do you find that you can get a lot out of a science or math textbook by just reading the chapter and looking over the examples?

The reason I ask is, I've been struggling with reading the chapters in my physics and differential equations courses this semester. I just can't seem to stay focused while reading and end up reading the same passage over and over again, getting up frequently, and basically just wasting an hour and getting nothing out of it.

So, this morning I tried an experiment. I got up to start a new physics chapter and just went right to the problems. After attempting to solve a few problems (usually unsuccessfully), I then went back and tried to figure out how to do them by the examples. If the examples weren't enough to understand the nature of the problems and their solutions, only then could I get anything out of reading the chapter. It's like, I have to try to understand the nature of the problems before I'll have a chance to understand the theory. Is this totally backwards from most people? This could also explain why I get almost nothing out of lectures.

Physics news on Phys.org
kdinser said:
It's like, I have to try to understand the nature of the problems before I'll have a chance to understand the theory.
That sounds totally reasonable.

Usually before the lectures, it's good to have a look at the what the subject is about. To understand the problem. That way the structure of the lecture will probably be more lucid.

Math books are generally not read like a novel. You should actively follow the reasoning of the writer and duplicate or construct the derivations and theorems on your own piece of paper.

kdinser said:
Just for curiosities sake, do you find that you can get a lot out of a science or math textbook by just reading the chapter and looking over the examples?

The reason I ask is, I've been struggling with reading the chapters in my physics and differential equations courses this semester. I just can't seem to stay focused while reading and end up reading the same passage over and over again, getting up frequently, and basically just wasting an hour and getting nothing out of it.

So, this morning I tried an experiment. I got up to start a new physics chapter and just went right to the problems. After attempting to solve a few problems (usually unsuccessfully), I then went back and tried to figure out how to do them by the examples. If the examples weren't enough to understand the nature of the problems and their solutions, only then could I get anything out of reading the chapter. It's like, I have to try to understand the nature of the problems before I'll have a chance to understand the theory. Is this totally backwards from most people? This could also explain why I get almost nothing out of lectures.

No, this is not totally backwards.

First of all, you should always do what you find effective. The rest of us (and your teachers) can only advice you on what we think will work on average. If you find that this approach work best for you, then do it!

Secondly, it is never backwards to first understand the nature of the problem. It is only when faced with concrete problems do the theory in question comes in full bloom. So simply by reading about a theory or principle, you only get a superficial idea of what it is. It is when you sit down and work out the application of those ideas and theories do you start to understand what it really is [something quacks do not do since they always think that just by reading about it, they have fully understand it].

Thirdly, almost every theory in physics came out of an existing problems that couldn't be solved or explained. So the problem came first, the theory usually evolved out of the need to explain the problem. So without problems, there's no need to come up with a theory to explain a non-existing problem. Thus, what you are doing is almost what practicing physicists do.

Zz.

1. What is the difference between reading math and science textbooks in theory or problems first?

The main difference between reading math and science textbooks in theory or problems first is the approach used to understand the material. In theory first, the reader starts by reading the concepts and theories before attempting to solve problems. In problems first, the reader starts by solving problems and then using the solutions to understand the underlying theories.

2. Which approach is better for understanding math and science textbooks?

There is no one right answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual's learning style. Some people may find it easier to grasp concepts by reading about them first, while others may prefer to learn through hands-on problem-solving. It is recommended to try both approaches and see which one works best for you.

3. Can I switch between theory and problems first while studying?

Yes, you can switch between theory and problems first while studying. In fact, it is often beneficial to do so as it helps reinforce your understanding of the material. For example, after reading about a theory, you can then attempt to solve problems related to it to solidify your understanding.

4. Is it necessary to read math and science textbooks in a specific order?

It is not necessary to read math and science textbooks in a specific order. However, it is recommended to follow the order in which the material is presented as it is usually structured in a logical way. This can help build upon previous concepts and make it easier to understand the material.

5. How can I make the most out of reading math and science textbooks?

To make the most out of reading math and science textbooks, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, summarizing concepts, and practicing problems. It is also helpful to take breaks and review previously learned material to reinforce your understanding.