ITunes- buying songs, then album

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
In summary: I think you get charged the same whether you already own the song or not, because when you download the album, you'll get a second copy of that song (whether you want it or not).
honestrosewater
Gold Member
I can't find an answer anywhere else. Does anyone know how they charge you when you buy an album that contains songs you've already purchased? I think it would be fair for them to not charge you for those songs, but they don't price albums by the song anyway so I'm not sure how it would work.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should try and contact apple directly to get the answer.

Drats. Okay, thanks.

honestrosewater said:
I can't find an answer anywhere else. Does anyone know how they charge you when you buy an album that contains songs you've already purchased? I think it would be fair for them to not charge you for those songs, but they don't price albums by the song anyway so I'm not sure how it would work.

I believe Apple consider this as separate entities, and as such you are charge accordingly. Whether you already have the song or not.

Additionally, Apple doesn't make money in Itunes either, it's the dirtbag RIAA who gets in 95+ percent of the profits. Okay, I'm going offtopic now..

The_Professional said:
I believe Apple consider this as separate entities, and as such you are charge accordingly. Whether you already have the song or not.

Additionally, Apple doesn't make money in Itunes either, it's the dirtbag RIAA who gets in 95+ percent of the profits. Okay, I'm going offtopic now..
Do you know of a better option? I don't want to use Napster To Go. Napster Light looks like the same thing as iTunes- is it better?

Stay away from Napster like the plague. Once you stop paying the monthly fee you lose all your songs. You basically rent the songs from them.

honestrosewater said:
Do you know of a better option? I don't want to use Napster To Go. Napster Light looks like the same thing as iTunes- is it better?

Well, yes but it's not legal :wink: :biggrin:

I can private message you a link if you like. But dduardo is right, stay away from Napster they rip members off. ITunes isn't bad though I'd stick with it if you want to continue paying. And off the top of my head is Emusic: http://www.emusic.com/promo/preview.html which have a decent selection as well.

Last edited:
If you thought those videos of the RIAA raiding your house were a joke think again:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/0,39023165,39184042,00.htm\

They are using an Anton Piller order to send RIAA officials to do raids without the persons consent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Piller_order

This cartel really needs to be broken up.

In the netherlands its not ilegal to use Peer to peer software...

dduardo said:
Stay away from Napster like the plague. Once you stop paying the monthly fee you lose all your songs. You basically rent the songs from them.
Right, that's Napster To Go. There's also Napster Light that works like iTunes- buy @ $.99/song.
The_Professional said:
Well, yes but it's not legal
So it's not better. :wink: As long as they stop extending the copyright period (what is it now, 300 years?), I have fewer problems paying than not paying.
But dduardo is right, stay away from Napster they rip members off. ITunes isn't bad though I'd stick with it if you want to continue paying. And off the top of my head is Emusic: http://www.emusic.com/promo/preview.html which have a decent selection as well.
Thanks, I'll check them out. The annoying thing about iTunes is that songs are saved as M4Ps, and the only way to convert them to another file type is by burning them as another file type.

Anttech said:
In the netherlands its not ilegal to use Peer to peer software...
How does the recording industry make money (or do they)?

honestrosewater said:
Right, that's Napster To Go. There's also
So it's not better. :wink:

Contrary to what the RIAA is brainwashing people with, the technology itself is not inherently "evil" or "bad".

I think you get charged the same whether you already own the song or not, because when you download the album, you'll get a second copy of that song (whether you want it or not). It would be the same as the old days of vinyl when you could buy a single or an album, but you didn't get a discount on an album if you already owned a single of one of the songs on it.

On the plus side, you can more than make up for the occasional replicated song with all the free songs they give away. They've had so many promotions lately, I've been downloading 3 and 4 songs a week for free (it hasn't just been the one free-music Tuesday song anymore). I happen to love that and think it's a great way to get people to buy more. I know I've downloaded a few free songs from artists I had never heard of and absolutely loved them, so then went and got at least one or two more songs from them. I rarely download entire albums though, so haven't tried downloading an album for something I already owned songs from.

1. How do I buy individual songs on iTunes?

To buy individual songs on iTunes, open the iTunes application and search for the song you want to purchase. Once you've found the song, click on the price next to it and enter your Apple ID and password to complete the purchase. The song will then be downloaded to your iTunes library.

2. Can I purchase songs on iTunes without buying the full album?

Yes, you can purchase individual songs on iTunes without having to buy the full album. Simply follow the same steps as buying individual songs and you can add them to your iTunes library without purchasing the entire album.

3. What happens if I accidentally purchase the wrong song on iTunes?

If you accidentally purchase the wrong song on iTunes, you can request a refund from Apple. Go to your purchase history in iTunes, find the song you want a refund for, and click on "Report a Problem." From there, you can request a refund for the incorrect purchase.

4. Can I buy songs on iTunes and transfer them to other devices?

Yes, you can buy songs on iTunes and transfer them to other devices that are linked to your Apple ID. You can also use iTunes to sync your purchased songs to your other devices, such as an iPhone or iPod.

5. Is there a limit to how many songs I can buy on iTunes?

No, there is no limit to how many songs you can buy on iTunes. However, there may be a limit to the amount of storage space you have on your device to hold all the purchased songs.