DC Sputtering of Silicon without Magnetron

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of sputtering silicon and aluminum oxide onto a substrate without using a magnetron or RF sputtering. Some suggestions include using silicon samples as electrodes to create plasma, using high voltage from an AC power source, and modifying a CRT monitor. However, it is also suggested to consider obtaining a regular magnetron as a simpler solution.
LancelotSE
My question has to do with Sputtering Silicon onto a substrate using DC without a Magnetron. The system in the lab I'm at isn't currently capable of RF sputtering and the status of the magnetron is unknown. Is there any way to use a sputter with DC to deposit Silicon onto a substrate?

On the off chance anyone knows, is there a way to sputter Aluminum Oxide onto a substrate without a magnetron, RF, or exposing the chamber to the atmosphere? We need a deposition that's around 50nm-250nm thick.

Any help would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Due to silicon conductivity, you may try use silicon samples as electrodes to create plasma between them. Some small residual pressure need for igniting at least by cathode ray.
I don't remember exact numbers, when I experimented, something about 70V was enough for Hg plasma ignition without prior heating for Thungsten electrodes at about 0.1 Pa. Your case will require some more voltage due to increased Silicon work function and ionization energy, but, I suppose DC 318V achievable from AC 220V is quite enough. Don't forget about nonlinear V/I function, use inductance or resistance.

For dielectric compounds at high vacuum I would try modify regular CRT monitor to increase beam power or decrease scanning rate. Remove the front glass and point it to the sample. But don't you think it will be easier than get regular magnetron?

What is DC sputtering?

DC sputtering is a physical vapor deposition technique used to deposit thin films of a material onto a substrate. It involves bombarding a target material with a high-energy, positively charged ion beam in order to knock off atoms or molecules from the target surface. These atoms or molecules then travel to the substrate and form a thin film.

How is DC sputtering different from other sputtering techniques?

DC sputtering does not use a magnetron, which is a device that creates a magnetic field to confine the plasma and enhance the sputtering process. Instead, DC sputtering uses a direct current power supply to create an electric field that ionizes the gas and generates the plasma. This method is simpler and less expensive than magnetron sputtering.

Why is DC sputtering of silicon without magnetron important?

DC sputtering of silicon without magnetron is important because it offers an alternative method for depositing silicon thin films, which are widely used in electronic devices. It is a cost-effective and efficient way to produce high-quality silicon thin films without the need for a magnetron, making the process more accessible to smaller research laboratories and companies.

What are the advantages of using DC sputtering of silicon without magnetron?

One advantage is that it is a simpler and more economical process compared to magnetron sputtering. It also allows for better control of the film thickness and composition, resulting in high-quality and uniform thin films. Additionally, it can be used to deposit silicon thin films on a variety of substrates, including glass, metal, and plastic.

What are the potential applications of DC sputtering of silicon without magnetron?

DC sputtering of silicon without magnetron has a wide range of potential applications, including in the production of thin film solar cells, semiconductor devices, and sensors. It can also be used to create transparent conductive coatings for touchscreens and other electronic devices. Furthermore, it is a versatile technique that can be adapted for different materials and substrates, making it a valuable tool for research and development in various industries.