Seeking: SI derived units with higher base powers.

In summary, the conversation discusses building protocols for a chemistry setup and using SI units for communication between devices. The individual is wondering if there are any measurable SI derived units with a higher power than 7 or lower than -8. There is a recommendation to not use just 4 bits and instead use ASCII text for standard unit abbreviations. The conversation also touches on the benefits of using human-readable messages for debugging.
Knaapje
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a chemistry setup and we're building some protocols. We decided that every communication on the protocol between two devices will be in SI units. However, for a data descriptor I plan to use 4 bits per standard SI unit. This means that units for variables can go from -8 to 7.

Now, I'm wondering if there is any measurable SI derived unit which has a higher power than 7 or lower than -8?. I can only get to -3 or +4, but that's it. Anyone suggestions?

For instance, if you have pressure in hPa, this is kg * s^-2 * m^-1, the lowest is -2, highest is 1. Farad is kg^-1 m^-1 A^2 S^4, highest 4.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Knaapje! :smile:

My recommendation: don't use just 4 bits!
It's just not worth all the problems you'll get.

I like Serena said:
Welcome to PF, Knaapje! :smile:

My recommendation: don't use just 4 bits!
It's just not worth all the problems you'll get.

In total I'll be using 7 * 4 = 28, or 32 bits because alignment. I'm just curious if there is anything which we can actually measure has more than 7 or less than -8 powers.. Went through Wikipedia as well and just get stuck on 4. Also, it has to be as little as possible to keep everything at reasonable speed. Sending a message that's twice as long just to be sure seems a bit silly.

Knaapje said:
In total I'll be using 7 * 4 = 28, or 32 bits because alignment. I'm just curious if there is anything which we can actually measure has more than 7 or less than -8 powers.. Went through Wikipedia as well and just get stuck on 4. Also, it has to be as little as possible to keep everything at reasonable speed. Sending a message that's twice as long just to be sure seems a bit silly.

As I said, it's likely not worth the trouble.
Sending a message that is twice or 4 times as long will (almost) never be a problem.
Handling problems because you have too little space to transfer what you want to transfer really is a problem.

Bits are cheap as chips, as they say. Neither processor power nor channel bandwidth are likely to be a serious problem for you unless you are communicating with a submarine of a deep space probe.

If you really want to save bandwidth, why not just use the ASCII text for the standard abbreviations of unit names?

"F" for farad is only 8 bits, not 28 :smile:

And when things go wrong, human-readable messages make debugging easierr.

Dude! This is the 21st century! Nobody quibbles over bits. That's what they did in like the stone age.

1. What are SI derived units?

SI derived units are units of measurement that are derived from the seven base units of the International System of Units (SI). These base units include the meter, kilogram, second, ampere, kelvin, mole, and candela.

2. What is the purpose of seeking SI derived units with higher base powers?

The purpose of seeking SI derived units with higher base powers is to provide more precise and accurate measurements for scientific calculations and experiments. As technology and science advance, the need for more precise units of measurement increases.

3. What are some examples of SI derived units with higher base powers?

Examples of SI derived units with higher base powers include the newton (N) for force, joule (J) for energy, and watt (W) for power. These units are derived from the base units of meter, kilogram, and second, with higher powers to represent smaller or larger quantities.

4. How are SI derived units with higher base powers calculated?

SI derived units with higher base powers are calculated by combining the base units using mathematical operations such as multiplication, division, or exponentiation. For example, the unit for pressure, pascal (Pa), is calculated by dividing the unit for force (newton) by the unit for area (meter squared).

5. Why is it important to use SI derived units with higher base powers in scientific research?

Using SI derived units with higher base powers in scientific research allows for more accurate and consistent measurements, which are crucial for making reliable conclusions and advancements in various fields of science. It also promotes consistency and standardization in the scientific community.