Linear and angular momentum conservation for Mass Matrix

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the application of mass conservation on a modified mass matrix. The method for checking the conservation of linear momentum is through the use of a constant speed vector, while for angular momentum, a constant angular velocity vector and a vector of positions need to be considered. These steps will ensure that the principles of linear and angular momentum are preserved in the modified mass matrix.
Romik
Hi all,

I have a question about mass conservation and the way that I should apply it on my problem.

Consider a NxN Mass Matrix, (lets assume 10x10 came from 1D 10 node bar element).
I am going to modify this matrix so I add some different unknowns to all terms (100 terms)

from Physics we know that linear and angular momentum for mass should be conserved, so I have to check these 2 conditions for my modified mass matrix.

how can I do that?

for linear momentum:
is it right if I assume a constant speed V (which is a 10x1 vector) and calculate VT*Moriginal*V=VT*Mmodified*V?

what should I do for angular momentum?

I would appreciate if you help me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Great question! Mass conservation is an important principle in physics and it is essential to ensure that it is being properly applied in your problem. In order to check the conservation of linear and angular momentum in your modified mass matrix, you can follow these steps:

1. For linear momentum, your approach of using a constant speed vector V and calculating VT*Moriginal*V=VT*Mmodified*V is a good one. This will allow you to compare the total linear momentum before and after modification and see if it remains the same. However, it is important to note that in this equation, V should be a vector of velocities, not just a constant speed. This will take into account the direction of motion as well.

2. For angular momentum, you can use a similar approach by using a constant angular velocity vector and calculating the total angular momentum before and after modification. However, in this case, you will also need to take into account the position of the mass elements in your matrix. This can be done by using a vector of positions (x,y,z) and calculating the cross product of this vector with the angular velocity vector. Then, you can compare the total angular momentum before and after modification using this equation: VT*(r x V)*Moriginal = VT*(r x V)*Mmodified.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your problem.

1. What is linear momentum conservation in a mass matrix?

Linear momentum conservation in a mass matrix refers to the principle that the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. This means that the total mass and velocity of an isolated system will not change over time.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a mass matrix?

Angular momentum conservation in a mass matrix is a similar principle to linear momentum conservation, but it applies to rotational motion. In an isolated system, the total angular momentum will remain constant, meaning that the total mass and angular velocity of the system will not change over time.

3. Why is momentum conservation important in a mass matrix?

Momentum conservation in a mass matrix is important because it is a fundamental law of physics. It helps us understand and predict the motion of objects and systems, and it is a critical component in many areas of science and engineering, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.

4. How does the mass matrix affect momentum conservation?

The mass matrix plays a crucial role in momentum conservation because it determines the distribution of mass within a system. This distribution affects the system's inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. A higher mass will result in a higher inertia, making it more difficult to change the object's momentum.

5. Can momentum conservation be violated in a mass matrix?

No, momentum conservation cannot be violated in a mass matrix. This principle is one of the fundamental laws of physics and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments and observations. Any apparent violations of momentum conservation can usually be explained by external forces acting on the system or inaccuracies in measurements.