LCD cell thickness - why is this restricted?

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of cell thickness in LCD operation and questions the reason behind it. The speaker suggests that it may have to do with the pitch of the LC material and asks for a recommended online reference for LC physics.
gtbiyb
Hi,

I have read loads on LCD operation and in particular NT-LCD and understand the twisting of the light by the LC. Everywhere i read it states that "the thickness of the cell is crucial for correct operation" but does not say why!

Why is this? Is it to do with the pitch of the LC helix? Or that the order in the LC is lost at a certain separation from the grooved glass?

thanks

matt

Physics news on Phys.org
gtbiyb said:
Hi,

I have read loads on LCD operation and in particular NT-LCD and understand the twisting of the light by the LC. Everywhere i read it states that "the thickness of the cell is crucial for correct operation" but does not say why!

Why is this? Is it to do with the pitch of the LC helix? Or that the order in the LC is lost at a certain separation from the grooved glass?

thanks

matt

It's been a long time since I worked with LC displays, but I would think that it does have to do with the pitch of the LC material. You only want a 90 degree twist from front to back glass with no field applied... (well, that depends on which LC material you are using...)

What is the best online technical reference you have found so far for LC physics?

1. What is LCD cell thickness and why is it restricted?

LCD cell thickness refers to the distance between the two glass plates that make up the liquid crystal display (LCD) panel. This distance is restricted because it affects the quality of the display and the overall performance of the LCD.

2. How does the thickness of the LCD cell impact display quality?

The thickness of the LCD cell directly affects the amount of light that passes through the display. If the cell is too thick, it can cause uneven light distribution and result in poor image quality and contrast. On the other hand, if the cell is too thin, it can lead to light leakage and a decrease in display brightness.

3. What are the reasons for restricting LCD cell thickness?

The main reason for restricting LCD cell thickness is to ensure optimal display performance and quality. Additionally, thinner cells can be more fragile and prone to damage, making them less durable for everyday use. Moreover, thicker cells require more materials, which can increase production costs.

4. Are there any exceptions to the restricted LCD cell thickness?

Yes, there are exceptions to the restricted LCD cell thickness. In some cases, thinner cells may be used for specialized displays, such as those used in smartphones or other portable devices. Thicker cells may also be used for larger displays, where the distance between the two glass plates needs to be greater to maintain display quality.

5. How do manufacturers determine the appropriate LCD cell thickness for a display?

The appropriate LCD cell thickness for a display is determined through a combination of factors, including the size and resolution of the display, the type of backlight used, and the intended use of the display. Manufacturers carefully balance these factors to determine the optimal cell thickness for each specific display.