Flat pressure switches/sensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for flat pressure switches for a fabric keyboard, with options including force sensors, piezo elements, and textile conductors. The group also explores the possibility of using capacitive surfaces or creating a DIY solution. It is noted that membrane keyboards and capacitive keyboards are possible options, but may be more expensive. Ultimately, the best technology will depend on the desired performance and cost for the project.
kb_designer
Greetings everyone. Does anyone know of any flat pressure switches? I am trying to build a keyboard sewn into a shirt and have not found any suitable sensors. There are force sensors (like this one https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9375) but it would become too expensive for a full keyboard and apparently they are not very durable. I have also checked out piezo elements but as far as I know they can only detect taps, and I need to know if the user is holding down a button.

A third option is to use textile conductors (like on the peregrine glove http://theperegrine.com/product/) but that would not work for my application since it would require special gloves.

Obviously there must be a way since you can buy fabric keyboards but I don't know how they are designed?

Perhaps I could use a small capacitive surface/touchscreen on each key? (I cannot use just a single large capacitive surface for the entire keyboard because of the layout)

I could probably DIY a solution with two conductive layers and a isolation layer with a hole so that the circuit gets closed when the user holds down a button, but I don't think I could make that reliable. If possible I want to sell a few of these to friends and other fellow geeks and obviously don't want the keyboards to start failing after a while, so I think some form of piezo system would work best but I have not found any good solutions.

Any advice on this would be awsome!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like a membrane keyboard is a close fit. Those are typically sensing contact closure. Capacitive keyboards are also possible, but more expensive.

There are a few options listed here. Any of them could be adapted to fabric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_keyboard#Technology

But if you want to make your own invention, you'll have to evaluate yourself which technology works best for performance and cost.

1. What is a flat pressure switch/sensor?

A flat pressure switch/sensor is a type of sensing device that is used to measure and monitor pressure levels in various systems and applications. It is designed with a flat, thin surface that can be easily mounted onto flat surfaces, making it ideal for use in tight spaces or where traditional round pressure switches/sensors may not fit.

2. How does a flat pressure switch/sensor work?

A flat pressure switch/sensor typically contains a diaphragm or membrane that flexes when pressure is applied. This deflection is then measured by a strain gauge or other sensing mechanism, which converts it into an electrical signal. The electrical signal is then sent to a controller or display device, providing a measurement of the pressure being applied to the switch/sensor.

3. What are the benefits of using a flat pressure switch/sensor?

Flat pressure switches/sensors offer several benefits, including their compact size and easy installation on flat surfaces. They also provide accurate and reliable pressure measurements, making them suitable for use in a wide range of applications. Additionally, flat pressure switches/sensors are often more affordable and durable compared to other types of pressure sensors.

4. What are some common applications of flat pressure switches/sensors?

Flat pressure switches/sensors are commonly used in industries such as automotive, HVAC, and medical equipment. They are also frequently utilized in manufacturing and production processes, as well as in pressure monitoring systems for pipelines, tanks, and other industrial equipment. Additionally, flat pressure switches/sensors can be found in household appliances, such as washing machines and dishwashers.

5. Can a flat pressure switch/sensor be used for both liquid and gas pressure measurements?

Yes, most flat pressure switches/sensors are designed to measure both liquid and gas pressures. However, it is important to check the specifications of the specific switch/sensor to ensure that it is suitable for the intended application. Some may have limitations on the type of media they can measure or may require additional accessories for certain types of pressure measurements.