Welcome to the Moment Calculation Discussion Forum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the moment needed for a scoop to scoop up a sample of sand. The concept of momentum and impulse is brought up, with the suggestion that impulse may be more relevant in this context. More information on the specific sampling task is needed to provide a more accurate answer.
ExoP
Hi,

I was thinking of something: How are one supposed to calculate the moment needed for a scoop to scoop up a sample of e.g. sand? Does the classical p=mv work? Any ideas or comments?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you mean by your question; it is clearly in a particular context.
P=mv is the momentum of a mass m with velocity v.
A certain Impulse will be needed to accelerate a mass m to velocity v and Impulse is Force times the time it is applied. A small force takes more time to do the job than a large force. I think you may be referring to Impulse rather than the "moment" (=Momentum) in your post.

If you are, in fact, scooping sand, then the scoop could provide less force over a longer time than for, as an example, a golf club, which may have contact for a small fraction of a second. These are general comments and a more useful answer could be given if there were more detail about the actual sampling job you have in mind.

1. What is the purpose of the "Welcome to the Moment Calculation Discussion Forum"?

The purpose of this forum is to provide a platform for scientists and researchers to discuss and share knowledge and ideas related to moment calculations in their respective fields of study.

2. Who can participate in this forum?

Anyone with an interest in moment calculations, including scientists, researchers, and students, is welcome to participate in this forum.

3. What types of discussions are allowed in this forum?

This forum is open to all discussions related to moment calculations, including theoretical concepts, practical applications, and new developments and advancements in the field.

4. Can I ask for help with specific moment calculations in this forum?

Yes, this forum encourages members to seek help and advice from other participants on specific moment calculations. However, it is important to provide sufficient information and context for others to understand and assist with the problem.

5. How can I contribute to this forum?

There are several ways to contribute to this forum, such as sharing your knowledge and expertise through discussions, answering questions from others, and providing feedback and suggestions for improvement. You can also suggest new topics for discussion and invite others to join the forum.