Why is the enthelpy of a phase transition different from 0?

In summary, phase changes, such as melting or evaporation, are isothermal processes according to Wikipedia. However, calculating the enthalpy for these transitions is not as straightforward as using the equation dH=CpdT, as this equation only applies to a single phase at constant pressure. To properly calculate the enthalpy change, the latent heat of melting or evaporation must also be taken into account, and the heat capacity can be expressed in terms of the Dirac delta function. This results in the equation ΔH=\int_{T_v^-}^{T_v^+}{Lδ(T-T_v)dT}.
ricard.py
Hello,
Wikipedia states: Phase changes, such as melting or evaporation, are also isothermal processes.
I am interested in calculating the enthalpy of a given phase transition.

If the process is isothermal, I would immediately say that H is 0, according to the following equation:

dH=CpdT

But I know that this is not true, why?

Science news on Phys.org
##(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T})_p = C_p## is only true at constant pressure. During a phase transition neither the volume nor pressure of a substance need be constant.

Likes 1 person
ricard.py said:
Hello,
Wikipedia states: Phase changes, such as melting or evaporation, are also isothermal processes.
I am interested in calculating the enthalpy of a given phase transition.

If the process is isothermal, I would immediately say that H is 0, according to the following equation:

dH=CpdT

But I know that this is not true, why?
The equation you wrote applies to only a single phase at constant pressure. If you want to extend it to calculate the change in enthalpy for a phase transition, you need to include latent heat of melting or evaporation. During the phase transition at constant pressure, the temperature remains constant until the phase transition is complete. One way of integrating the above equation over the phase transition is to express the heat capacity in terms of the Dirac delta function δ(T), assuming you are familiar with this function. This gives:
[tex]ΔH=\int_{T_v^-}^{T_v^+}{Lδ(T-T_v)dT}[/tex]
where L is the latent heat of vaporization, and Tv is the heat of vaporization. In this way, the heat capacity at the transition is Lδ(T-Tv).

Chet

Likes 1 person

1. Why is the enthalpy of a phase transition different from 0?

The enthalpy of a phase transition is different from 0 because it involves a change in the internal energy of a substance. During a phase transition, the particles of the substance rearrange themselves, resulting in a change in the energy of the system. This change in energy is reflected in the enthalpy, which is the sum of the internal energy and the product of pressure and volume.

2. How does temperature affect the enthalpy of a phase transition?

The enthalpy of a phase transition is directly affected by temperature. As temperature increases, the particles of a substance gain more energy and are able to overcome the intermolecular forces holding them together, resulting in a phase transition. This change in energy also affects the enthalpy, as it is a measure of the total energy of the system.

3. Can the enthalpy of a phase transition be negative?

Yes, the enthalpy of a phase transition can be negative. This typically occurs in exothermic phase transitions, where energy is released as heat. In these cases, the change in internal energy is greater than the work done by the system, resulting in a negative enthalpy.

4. Why is the enthalpy of a phase transition important in chemical reactions?

The enthalpy of a phase transition is important in chemical reactions because it is a measure of the total energy of the system. In many chemical reactions, a phase transition occurs as a result of the reaction, leading to a change in enthalpy. This change in enthalpy can provide valuable information about the energy changes that occur during the reaction.

5. How is the enthalpy of a phase transition related to the heat of fusion or vaporization?

The enthalpy of a phase transition is directly related to the heat of fusion or vaporization. These quantities represent the energy required to change the phase of a substance at a constant temperature, and are included in the calculation of the enthalpy of a phase transition. The heat of fusion is the energy required to melt a solid into a liquid, while the heat of vaporization is the energy required to evaporate a liquid into a gas.