Why does (-1)^2 equal both 1 and -1?

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
In summary, the rule of exponents states that any number raised to an even power will always result in a positive number, regardless of its original sign. Therefore, when -1 is squared, it becomes 1 and -1. This is because (-1)^2 can be written as (-1)(-1), which equals 1. However, when considering only the numerical value, -1 squared is still equal to 1. This concept can also be extended to other negative numbers raised to an even power, resulting in a positive outcome.
mathelord
HI, since e^[i*pi]=-1,then e^[2i*pi]=1.
taking lin of both sides,2*i*pi=0,that makes i=0
squaring both sides,you get -1 to equal 0.
Is there a problem with what i have done,and what is it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
When complex outputs are allowed, logarithms become multivalued. In this case, the correct formulae are :

[tex]e^{2k\pi i} = 1, \ln(1) = 2k\pi i[/tex] where [itex]k[/itex] ranges over the integers.

In your case, you're confusing the result for k = 0 with k = 1, hence the apparent paradox.

Last edited:
Yes and:

[tex](-1)^2 = 1 \quad 1^2 = 1 \quad 1 = - 1 \quad 2 = 0[/tex]

It's the same things really :rolleyes:

What is another fallacy?

Another fallacy is a type of logical error in reasoning, where the conclusion drawn is not supported by the evidence or premises presented.

How is another fallacy different from other types of fallacies?

Another fallacy is different from other types of fallacies because it specifically refers to a logical error that occurs when the conclusion does not follow logically from the premises, rather than a specific type of faulty reasoning.

What are some examples of another fallacy?

Examples of another fallacy include circular reasoning, false dilemma, and ad hominem attacks. These all involve drawing a conclusion that is not supported by the evidence or premises presented.

How can I avoid committing another fallacy?

To avoid committing another fallacy, it is important to critically evaluate the evidence and premises presented in an argument and ensure that the conclusion logically follows. It is also helpful to be aware of common fallacies and to actively avoid using them in your own reasoning.

Why is it important to recognize another fallacy?

Recognizing another fallacy is important because it allows us to identify and avoid faulty reasoning in our own arguments and to critically evaluate the arguments of others. This can help us make more informed and logical decisions and avoid being misled by false or illogical arguments.