Classical Mechanics (Lagrangian)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a particle on a smooth plane that is being raised at a constant rate. The person is seeking advice on their approach to the problem and there is a discussion about using Lagrangian equations to solve it. They consider the changing slope and reference frame, as well as energy contributions and conservation. The final equations of motion are derived and it is confirmed that this is the correct approach.
Rob Hal
Hi,

I posted this yesterday, but I figured I'd better post it again since the other thread can't be replied to at this time since its in the archives.

I'm looking for some advice on whether or not I'm doing a problem correctly.

The problem is:
A particle of mass m rests on a smooth plane. (the particle starts at r) The plane is raised to an inclination [tex]\theta[/tex], at a constant rate [tex]\alpha[/tex], with [tex]\theta = 0[/tex] at t=0, causing the particle to move down the plane.

So, I'm taking the x to be the distance the particle travels down the slope.

I come up with the following as the Lagrangian:

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2} m\dot{x}^2 - mg(r-x)sin\theta[/tex]

I'm not sure if this is correct.

I would then get the equations of motion to be [tex]mgsin\theta - m\ddot{x}=0[/tex] and [tex]-mgsin(r-x)cos\theta=0[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't seem to have explicitly factored in that the slope is changing in time. (There is no alpha dependence in your equations.) What this also means is that the velocity of the particle is not as simple as it seems, and is not along the inclined plane in the lab reference frame anyway. For example, the particle on the slope has velocity component perpendicular to the incline, that matches the incline's velocity at that point perpendicular to its surface.

Be careful about which reference frame you are using when you write down the equations.

One way to suspect that you don't quite have the right answer is that the solution you give would be the same for a static incline - do you really think the solution should be the same?

I'm also just learning about Lagrangians, and I probably would have made the same mistake without the above hint, but would the Lagrangian instead be:
[tex] L= \frac{1}{2}m \dot{r}^2 + \frac{1}{2}mr^{2}\dot{\theta}^{2} -mgrsin\theta[/tex]
Is that correct?

I mean a much more elementary way to look at it is simple conservation of energy to find out what energy contributions there are.

KE: T trans + T rot
PE: V(y)

Ttrans: .5mr^2
T rot: .5Iw^2
V: mg(sin[theta])

where you would figure out I as a particle on a massless string.

I haven't had any formal training in solving Lagrange's equations, but here's what I would do:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}} -\frac{\partial L}{\partial r}=0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}} -\frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta}=0 [/tex]

Which I'd then solve to get:

[tex]m \ddot{r}+mgsin\theta=0[/tex] and [tex]mr^2 \ddot{\theta}+mgrcos\theta=0[/tex]
Is that the right way to do it?

Last edited:

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the motion and behavior of physical objects using mathematical equations and principles.

2. What is the Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position and velocity. It is used to derive the equations of motion for a system in classical mechanics.

3. What is the difference between the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian are both mathematical functions used in classical mechanics, but they represent different aspects of a system's dynamics. The Lagrangian describes the system in terms of its position and velocity, while the Hamiltonian describes the system in terms of its position and momentum.

4. How is the Lagrangian used to solve problems in classical mechanics?

The Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for a system, which can then be solved to determine the behavior of the system over time. It allows for a more elegant and efficient approach to solving problems in classical mechanics compared to using Newton's laws of motion.

5. What are some practical applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has numerous practical applications, including predicting the motion of planets and other celestial bodies, designing structures and machines, and understanding the behavior of fluids and gases. It is also the basis for many modern technologies, such as airplanes, cars, and satellites.