Get Ready for a Rare Mars Flyby: Second Closest Approach in 60,000 Years!

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary: So you're saying that comets that hit Earth could only do so because they were moving really slowly? That doesn't seem very likely.
russ_watters
Mentor
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2005-10-27-mars-flyby_x.htm
Mars is ready for another close-up. For the second time in nearly 60,000 years, the Red Planet will swing unusually close to Earth this weekend, appearing as a yellow twinkle in the night sky.
Say what? Second time in 60,000 years? Besides the 17 year cycle of close approaches, this one isn't even the second closest in 5 years! It's going to be 43 million miles away and the 2001 opposition was 42 million miles.

And this is an AP report, which means it's going out in every major news outlet (cnn has the same story, verbatim).

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mars' latest rendezvous will not match its record-breaking approach to Earth in 2003, when it hovered from 35 million miles away. But more skygazers this time around can glimpse the fourth rock from the sun because it will glow above the horizon.
I wonder what this means? I don't know anyone who had any trouble seeing it last time. It's going to glow this time, but it didn't glow last time?

For the northern hemisphere, Mars will be a lot higher than in 2003, making this a better apparation for people at latitude like mine (38N). Maybe that's what they meant to say.

So wait... are you telling me we can't trust reporters for scientific news seeing as how practically there only requirements in college are remedial chemistry?

For the second time in nearly 60,000 years, the Red Planet will swing unusually close to Earth this weekend.

Mars' latest rendezvous will not match its record-breaking approach to Earth in 2003, when it hovered from 35 million miles away.

The two planets -- normally separated by about 140 million miles -- will not be this close again until 2018.

ooookkkkkkk

tony873004 said:
I wonder what this means?

For the northern hemisphere, Mars will be a lot higher than in 2003, making this a better apparation for people at latitude like mine (38N). Maybe that's what they meant to say.
I think that's what they meant. Yes, along with scientific illiteracy, this particular reporter has trouble constructing a coherent sentence.

Here's another one from AP

Comets Hit Early Americans, Scientists Say
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051029/ap_on_sc/early_americans;_ylt=AjxTwnCKNInHPrU3ArVqRe2s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM- [Broken]

A supernova could be the "quick and dirty" explanation for what may have happened to an early North American culture, a nuclear scientist here said Thursday
Strange opening sentence for an article that promised us comets. It then drops all supernovae references and gets to the comet theory.

...he estimates that comets struck the solar system during the Clovis period...
Comets are part of the solar system. How do you strike the solar system anyway?

These comets would have hit the Earth at 1,000 kilometers an hour
A little slow for a comet! Some fighter jets are faster. Since this is slower than Earth escape velocity, it would be impossible for them to hit with such a low speed.

If you read this story from the above link, hit the "Discuss" button. There's a bunch of "Re: Comets are not supernovae" posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god, I thought politics was stupid.

1,000km/h is pretty much what any jet aircraft, private or military can do lol

1. What is a Mars flyby?

A Mars flyby is when a spacecraft passes by Mars, but does not enter into orbit around the planet. It is a type of mission used to gather data and images of Mars without the need for the spacecraft to land on the surface.

2. Why is this Mars flyby considered rare?

This Mars flyby is considered rare because it is the second closest approach in 60,000 years. Mars orbits the Sun in an elliptical shape, meaning its distance from Earth varies. This flyby is rare because it occurs at a time when Mars is at its closest point to Earth.

3. How close will Mars be to Earth during this flyby?

Mars will be approximately 38.6 million miles away from Earth during this flyby. This is much closer than the average distance between the two planets, which is around 140 million miles.

4. What can scientists learn from this rare Mars flyby?

Scientists can learn more about the geology and atmosphere of Mars through this flyby. They can also gather data on the planet's magnetic field and search for signs of past or present life on Mars.

5. How often do these rare Mars flybys occur?

Rare Mars flybys, like the one occurring in 2020, happen about every 15-17 years. The last one occurred in 2003 and the next one is predicted to happen in 2035.