Calculating COP of Refrigerator: Solve with W=P(delta)t

In summary, the vessel containing 8.43 kg of water at 21.1C was cooled down to 4C by a 0.1655 hp motor running for 9 minutes in a refrigerator. The COP of the refrigerator can be calculated by dividing the heat removed by the work input, which is equal to 66670.02 J / 123.463 W x 540 s. Please provide input of the work or energy input and the heat removed to help calculate the COP. Thank you.
jdog6
A vessel containing 8.43 kg of water at 21.1C is put into a refrigerator. The 0.1655 hp motor runs for 9 min to cool the liquid to the refrigerator's low temperature 4C.

What is the COP of the refrigerator?

W=P(delta)t
= 123.463Wx540s
= 66670.02 J

COP = Qc/W

Please Help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdog6 said:
A vessel containing 8.43 kg of water at 21.1C is put into a refrigerator. The 0.1655 hp motor runs for 9 min to cool the liquid to the refrigerator's low temperature 4C.
What is the COP of the refrigerator?
W=P(delta)t
= 123.463Wx540s
= 66670.02 J
COP = Qc/W
Please Help.
Thank you.
The Coefficient of Performance for a refrigerator is defined as the ratio of the heat removed from the cold reservoir to the work added to the system. What is the work or energy input? (I think you have correctly worked this out based on one hp = 746 J/sec). What is the heat removed (in J.) ?

AM

Last edited:

I would first like to clarify that COP stands for Coefficient of Performance, which is a measure of the efficiency of a refrigerator in transferring heat. To calculate the COP of a refrigerator, we need to consider the amount of heat removed (Qc) and the amount of work done (W). In this scenario, the work done by the refrigerator's motor is 66670.02 J, as calculated above.

To determine the amount of heat removed, we can use the formula Q=mcΔT, where m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Plugging in the values given, we get:

Q = (8.43 kg)(4186 J/kg°C)(21.1°C - 4°C)
= 116,492.74 J

Now, we can calculate the COP of the refrigerator using the formula COP = Qc/W:

COP = 116,492.74 J/66670.02 J
= 1.75

This means that for every joule of work done by the refrigerator's motor, 1.75 joules of heat are removed. In other words, the refrigerator is 1.75 times more efficient in removing heat than the work it takes to run the motor.

I hope this helps clarify the calculation of COP and its importance in evaluating the efficiency of refrigerators. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional assistance.

1. How do I calculate the COP of a refrigerator?

To calculate the COP (coefficient of performance) of a refrigerator, you need to divide the cooling power (W) by the input power (P) multiplied by the change in temperature (delta t).

2. What is the equation for calculating COP?

The equation for calculating COP is COP = W / (P x delta t).

3. How do I measure the cooling power of a refrigerator?

The cooling power of a refrigerator can be measured by using a thermometer to record the change in temperature (delta t) of the refrigerant as it passes through the evaporator and condenser coils.

4. What is the input power of a refrigerator?

The input power of a refrigerator is the amount of electrical energy (in watts) that is needed to run the compressor, fan, and any other components of the refrigerator.

5. How can I improve the COP of my refrigerator?

To improve the COP of your refrigerator, you can do the following: make sure the door seals are tight, keep the refrigerator well-stocked, clean the condenser coils regularly, and set the temperature to the recommended level (usually between 37-40 degrees Fahrenheit).