Lever rotating around an axis.

In summary, the lever can rotate freely around a horizontal axis. The end of each arm has a mass of 4m and 9m, respectively. The velocity of mass 9m at the bottom is found to be 9m/s.
clicwar

Homework Statement

A lever of length 3L can rotate freely around a horizontal axis O.
The end of each arm "2L" and "L" of the lever has one mass : "4m" and "9m" , respectively.

Find the velocity of mass "9m" at the bottom.
Consider that the lever was initially at rest in the horizontal position.

Homework Equations

The problem is in a chapter of work and energy, before the conceps of torque and moment of inercia, so i guess that only energy and work can solve this.
But any solution/hint with any method will be welcome.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to apply conservation of energy, but I'm confused if the whole system is conservating energy or only part of it.

I really need a hint of how start this problem or if possible a solution of it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• imagem.jpg
    imagem.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
What forces are acting on the system?

I believe that only the gravitational forces are acting on the system "lever+masses". I can't see any other possible force able to do work.

clicwar said:
I'm trying to apply conservation of energy, but I'm confused if the whole system is conservating energy or only part of it.
Since everything is connected, treat the system as a whole. How does the mechanical energy change as the system rotates?

The mechanical energy of the system as whole is doesn't changing ... right?
(Does the support O of the lever is doing work?) .

clicwar said:
The mechanical energy of the system as whole is doesn't changing ... right?
Right.
(Does the support O of the lever is doing work?)
I interpret "rotate freely" as saying that there is no friction, and thus no mechanical energy lost to friction. The support O does no work, since it doesn't move.

Doc Al said:
I interpret "rotate freely" as saying that there is no friction, and thus no mechanical energy lost to friction. The support O does no work, since it doesn't move.

Thank you very much for the help DocAl. The sentence quoted above is exactly what i was looking for.

1. What is a lever rotating around an axis?

A lever rotating around an axis is a simple machine consisting of a rigid bar or plank that is able to pivot or rotate around a fixed point called the fulcrum. This allows for the application of force to be magnified or redirected to a different direction.

2. What are the different types of levers rotating around an axis?

There are three types of levers rotating around an axis: first-class, second-class, and third-class. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is located between the effort and the load. In a second-class lever, the load is between the fulcrum and the effort. In a third-class lever, the effort is applied between the fulcrum and the load.

3. What is the principle behind a lever rotating around an axis?

The principle behind a lever rotating around an axis is based on the law of the lever, which states that the effort and the load must be in balance for the lever to be in equilibrium. This means that the product of the effort and its distance from the fulcrum must be equal to the product of the load and its distance from the fulcrum.

4. What are some real-life examples of a lever rotating around an axis?

Some common examples of a lever rotating around an axis include seesaws, scissors, pliers, and crowbars. Other examples include a shovel, a bottle opener, and a fishing rod. In each of these examples, the lever is used to either lift, move, or pry objects by applying force at one end and using the fulcrum as a pivot point.

5. How does the length of the lever arm affect the force applied in a lever rotating around an axis?

The length of the lever arm plays a significant role in determining the amount of force applied in a lever rotating around an axis. The longer the lever arm, the more force can be applied to the load at the other end. This is because the longer lever arm creates a greater distance between the effort and the fulcrum, resulting in a greater torque or rotational force.