Current Oscillator Sine Wave Generator .1Hz, 30uA_rms, 1kOhm Target

In summary, a generator can be used to create a current bias, but a resistor should be used in series to avoid destroying the sample.
0xDEADBEEF
Are there sine wave generators for current? I need something like .1Hz, 30uA_rms, to a target of about 1kOhm.

If you would try to convert a normal function generator for this purpose, would you go for a large resistance like 1MOhm in series or a current mirror design? Where would the noise be larger?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use a resistor in series, something like 100kOhm. There is no need to make anything more complicated than that (I've used functions generators to current-bias samples for many years).
Just watch out for the 50 ohm output impedance of you use a function generator (set it to high-Z if that is an option), or it can get a bit confusing.
Also, you should definitely measure the current (at 0.1 Hz you can just let the current pass through a 10 ohm resistor and measure it using a multimeter), don't trust the function generator if you need accurate values.

Btw, there ARE generator that can give you the current directly. Most people I know use an old (well, pre-Agilent) HP generator, unfortunately I can't remember the designation. We have a couple of them at work (you can still buy them used from variour companies, they are not more expensive than when they were new...).
That said, I would NEVER bias a sensitive sample directly from a generator without putting a large resistor in series, doing so will inevitable destroy the the sample.

f95toli said:
Btw, there ARE generator that can give you the current directly. Most people I know use an old (well, pre-Agilent) HP generator, unfortunately I can't remember the designation. We have a couple of them at work (you can still buy them used from variour companies, they are not more expensive than when they were new...).

Was it the HP 3325A or B?

No, not quite that old (although I think we have one or two of those as well).
I'll have a look when I get to work tomorrow morning.

The generator I was referring to is called HP 3245A, the model is about 20 years old. You can buy a refurbished one for about $4000.

Didn't get to play around with it yet. It's truly remarkable though, it has dc output with 6 1/2 digits of resolution.

We have some old HP I`ll try to get it to work, but I think it speaks an ancient GPIB dialect.

Well, GPIB (and/or HP-IB) hasn't changed much over the past 25 years or so (probably longer), so I doubt you'll have any problems with that. Although on some old equipment you might have to set the GPIB address using DIP switches, you should also try to put it last in the chain if you are daisy-chaining devices.

1. What is a current oscillator sine wave generator?

A current oscillator sine wave generator is a device that produces an alternating current (AC) sine wave output at a specific frequency and amplitude. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for testing and calibration purposes.

2. What is the frequency of the current oscillator sine wave generator?

The frequency of the current oscillator sine wave generator is .1Hz, which means it produces 0.1 cycles per second.

3. What is the amplitude of the current oscillator sine wave generator?

The amplitude of the current oscillator sine wave generator is 30uA_rms, which stands for root mean square and is a measure of the effective current intensity.

4. What is the target resistance for the current oscillator sine wave generator?

The target resistance for the current oscillator sine wave generator is 1kOhm, which is the ideal resistance for the generator to produce the desired output.

5. What are the applications of a current oscillator sine wave generator?

Current oscillator sine wave generators are commonly used in electronic circuits for testing and calibration, as well as in audio equipment for signal generation. They are also used in scientific research for creating precise and stable AC signals.