Converting html document to PDF

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Html Pdf
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of converting a .html file of an unofficial transcript to a .pdf file for the purpose of sending it to REU programs. The individual has tried using various website converters but always gets an error. They ask if there is a way to convert it for free or if someone could convert it for them. The conversation then goes into discussing different methods for converting the file, including using a virtual printer driver such as PrimoPDF or PDFcreator. After some troubleshooting and suggestions, it is eventually determined that using the virtual printer driver from Firefox to PrimoPDF is successful. The conversation then shifts to asking about combining multiple transcripts onto one PDF, which may require a professional version of a program.
member 392791
Hello,

I am trying to convert a .html file of my unofficial transcript so I can send it to REU programs because I am trying to get into an REU this summer. I've tried using the website converters and I always get an error. Is there any way to conver this for free?

Or, can I PM it to somebody and they could convert it for me? That would be very nice. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
What kind of error do you get?

What I did in the past was I added Linotronic 330 v52.3 as a printer, printed Post Script to file and used some web based ghostscript converter.

Not sure depends on which free converter I use. They just come up blank

I use PrimoPDF for the final conversion step. What are you viewing the HTML with?

firefox html document

Okay, so if you download and install the free verion of PrimoPDF, it should show up as a printer option when you got to print from Firefox. Try printing from Firefox to the PrimoPDF printer, and see how that turns out.

It still comes up blank. I have now been able to turn the .html to a .docx, but not .html to .pdf or .docx to .pdf

I'll PM you my e-mail address if you want me to give it a shot.

Please do

Try what I told you earlier. Install a printer driver I have mentioned in such a way that it will allow printing to file. Print your page to the file. Convert this file to pdf using some web service - for example ps2pdf.com. See if their FAQ doesn't help: http://www.ps2pdf.com/faq.htm

I don't have a printer on this computer

Woopydalan said:

It only looks like a printer. You "print" the webpage to the PDF "printer" and it prompts you for a save location. Presto chango, PDF "copy" of the webpage, with layout preserved (this also means you can use Print Preview beforehand to adjust margins and what not).

I've never used Primo PDF, but the completely free PDFcreator is what I use most of the time (the only caveat is that you have to change the paper size from A4 to letter, presuming you're an American):
http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Woopydalan said:

As MATLABdude wrote it is not a physical printer, but a virtual device that pretends to be a printer and allows you to save to a file all the commands that would be sent to printer. Later you can either copy a content of the file to the physical printer port (and print it on paper) and use it for any other purpose - like conversion to pdf. Just to convert to pdf you need to prepare a file pretending you are using a postrcript printer, and the Linotronic driver is considered a standard. Or at least it was considered a standard when I needed to convert document to pdf.

Borek said:
Just to convert to pdf you need to prepare a file pretending you are using a postrcript printer, and the Linotronic driver is considered a standard. Or at least it was considered a standard when I needed to convert document to pdf.

You are a bit out date there. There are several free virtual printer drivers for Windows that produce a PDF in one step. For example CutePDF, PDF995, PrimoPDF, etc, etc. Actually they are all pretty much the same except for the graphics of the user interface, because they they all use the same open-source Ghostscript software to do the work!

What you describe still works, but it's mroe complicated than it needs to be.

AFAIK on Macs this functionality is part of the OS - just use the "create PDF" option instead of "print".

Just be careful when you install them - don't get suckered into paying for a "pro" version that does a lot of other stuff you don't need, and untick the boxes that install search engine toolbars etc. The three I mentioned above are all reputable (non-malware) products, but their authors don't live on fresh air, hence the sales pitch to get you to pay them!

AlephZero said:
You are a bit out date there. There are several free virtual printer drivers for Windows that produce a PDF in one step.

I know there are virtual printer drivers that produce pdfs directly, but - as you mentioned - they require adding a printer driver that is not built in into Windows. Procedure I described doesn't require that and can be done on any Windows machine without downloading anything.

I used primoPDF and it wouldn't convert the document. It shows the banner on the top of the website like the logo, but none of the information, and I have no idea how that PDF creator program works, looks not very easy

The website you gave Borek said ''Input file doesn't appear to be a Postscript compatible file''

Last edited by a moderator:
Woopydalan said:
I used primoPDF and it wouldn't convert the document. It shows the banner on the top of the website like the logo, but none of the information, and I have no idea how that PDF creator program works, looks not very easy

The website you gave Borek said ''Input file doesn't appear to be a Postscript compatible file''

View your transcript in Firefox. Go to the File menu (or Firefox menu) and select "Print...". A window will come up to allow you to set your print options. The first option should be "Printer Name:" with a drop-down list of "printers" to choose from, even if no physical printer is attached. What choices are listed on this menu?

Microsoft XPS writer, PDFCreator, PrimoPDF. PDF Creator gives an error, PrimoPDF doesn't work either, and I had been using Microsoft XPS writer before all this stuff happened

OMG it worked! WOohoo! The primo worked jk hehe

I have a transcript from 2 different colleges, is there a way to combine both onto the same PDF?

Woopydalan said:
OMG it worked! WOohoo! The primo worked jk hehe

I have a transcript from 2 different colleges, is there a way to combine both onto the same PDF?

It looks like you need the professional version of PrimoPDF to combine documents. PDFCreator supports combining two documents, though: http://www.pdfforge.org/content/combine-documents .

Combining Documents using PDFCreator:
http://www.pdfforge.org/content/combine-documents

So open and print both transcripts in Adobe or FoxIt Reader. But philosophically, and assuming you're sending an e-mail to someone, why join both transcripts rather than having two clearly delineated transcripts from two different institutions?

1. How can I convert an HTML document to PDF?

To convert an HTML document to PDF, you can use a variety of tools and methods. One option is to use a specialized PDF conversion software, such as Adobe Acrobat or Nitro Pro. Another option is to use a web-based conversion service, such as PDFCrowd or HTML to PDF. Alternatively, you can use a programming language, such as Python or Java, to write a script that converts the HTML document to PDF.

2. What are the benefits of converting an HTML document to PDF?

Converting an HTML document to PDF has several benefits. First, it allows you to preserve the layout and design of the original document, including any images or formatting. Second, PDFs are widely compatible and can be opened on most devices and operating systems. Additionally, PDFs are secure and can be password protected, making them ideal for sharing sensitive or confidential information.

3. Can I convert an HTML document to PDF for free?

Yes, there are many free options available for converting an HTML document to PDF. As mentioned, there are web-based conversion services that offer free plans, as well as open-source software and programming libraries that can be used for free. However, some advanced features may require a paid subscription or license.

4. Will the converted PDF look exactly like the HTML document?

In most cases, the converted PDF will closely resemble the original HTML document. However, there may be some minor differences in formatting or layout, depending on the conversion method used. It is always a good idea to preview the PDF before sharing or printing it to ensure it meets your expectations.

5. Can I edit the converted PDF after conversion?

Yes, you can edit the converted PDF using specialized PDF editing software, such as Adobe Acrobat or Foxit PhantomPDF. However, the level of editing capabilities may vary depending on the conversion method used. For example, web-based conversion services may not offer as many editing options as dedicated software.