Do Acari Molt? Investigating the Red Velvet Mite

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of moulting in acari, specifically the Red Velvet mite. The information gathered suggests that all arthropods, including acari, molt, but there is also mention of some arthropods that do not molt. The conversation also touches on the search for reliable information, as well as the use of the term "ecdysis" in research. The discussion also mentions the possibility of shelled creatures growing without shedding their entire exoskeleton.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I am wondering whether acari moult. For instance the Red Velvet mite. The few information that I've gathered so far is that "all arthropods molt", which seems to imply that all acari do molt.
And that "most arthropods moult" which is totally different from what I had started to read. Asking this question directly to google did not return an all cooked answer.
Thank you for any "trustable" information. :smile:

P.S.:Now that I've read that spiders molt, I remember having saw a cellar spider exoskeleton. And I've taken a photo of a loxosceles (laeta I think) exoskeleton. Previously I thought they were dead spiders, but now I know they were quite likely exoskeleton resulting from moulting.

Biology news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
Where did you see "most arthropods molt"?
Do they provide examples of arthropods which do not molt?

I think you'll have better luck with "ecdysis" as a search term.
i.e. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1463-6409.1994.tb00383.x/abstract
Thank you, I will investigate with this term.
I found that information at http://sgmacro.blogspot.com.ar/2013/07/moulting-natural-wonder.html , first paragraph. A Velvet Mite appears at the bottom of the page, but without any information on moulting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh OK - the author is a photographer rather than an entero... emptyo... bug-person, so was probably just hedging his bets. Still - now you mention it, I don't actually know for definite and I can think of other ways a shelled creature could grow without shedding the whole exoskeleton in one go.

Dear reader,

Thank you for your inquiry about the molting process of acari, specifically the Red Velvet mite. I am happy to provide you with some reliable information on this topic.

Firstly, let me clarify that acari are a type of arthropod, which is a diverse group of invertebrates that includes insects, spiders, and crustaceans. As you have correctly stated, all arthropods molt, which means they shed their outer exoskeleton as they grow and develop. This process is necessary for them to increase in size and to replace damaged or worn-out body parts.

Now, let's focus on the Red Velvet mite. These mites are a type of acari, specifically belonging to the family Trombidiidae. The molting process of Red Velvet mites is similar to other arthropods, where they shed their exoskeleton in order to grow and develop. However, the frequency of molting can vary depending on environmental conditions and the specific species of Red Velvet mite.

Some sources may state that "most arthropods molt" because there are a few exceptions to this process, such as some parasitic species that do not have a traditional molting process. However, this does not apply to the majority of arthropods, including acari.

In conclusion, yes, acari do molt, and this includes the Red Velvet mite. I hope this information has helped to clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

1. Do Acari molt?

Yes, Acari (a type of mite) do molt. Molt is a process in which an animal sheds its outer layer of skin or exoskeleton in order to grow larger. Acari molt several times throughout their life cycle.

2. How often do Acari molt?

The frequency of molting varies depending on the species of Acari. Some species may molt multiple times a year, while others may only molt once every few years.

3. What is the purpose of molting for Acari?

Molting allows Acari to grow and develop into their adult form. It also helps them shed any parasites or pathogens that may be on their old exoskeleton.

4. What is the role of molting in the life cycle of Acari?

Molting is a crucial part of the life cycle of Acari. It allows them to transition from one stage of their life cycle to the next, such as from larva to nymph and then to adult.

5. How does molting affect the behavior of Acari?

Molting can affect the behavior of Acari in different ways. Some species may become more active and search for a new host to feed on after molting, while others may become less active and focus on developing their new exoskeleton.