Murdered Bog Men Found With Hair Gel, Manicured Nails

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, these two North Americans were brutally murdered by bog men with hair gel and manicured nails.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Murdered "Bog Men" Found With Hair Gel, Manicured Nails

The picture of the guy with the hair gel is really attractive. So poofy hair was "in" 2,000 years ago.

"Male grooming has an ancient history in Ireland, if the savagely murdered bodies of two ancient "bog men" are anything to go by.

One shows the first known example of Iron Age hair gel (see photo), experts say. The other wore manicured nails and stood 6 feet 6 inches (198 centimeters) tall."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0117_060117_irish_bogmen.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
The picture of the guy with the hair gel is really attractive. So poofy hair was "in" 2,000 years ago.

"Male grooming has an ancient history in Ireland, if the savagely murdered bodies of two ancient "bog men" are anything to go by.

One shows the first known example of Iron Age hair gel (see photo), experts say. The other wore manicured nails and stood 6 feet 6 inches (198 centimeters) tall."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0117_060117_irish_bogmen.html

Doesn't everybody preen themselves before a walk in the bog!?

On second thought, maybe that's why they were murdered:eek: In fact, they may have been thought of as ugly if not alien by the rest of the population.:yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bystander said:
For those who want more ---
http://www.archaeology.org/0501/reviews/bog.html

Maybe the Mafia's been around a little longer than we all think.
It's really quite fascinating, although gruesome. You can't help wonder about the circumstances.

Evo said:
It's really quite fascinating, although gruesome. You can't help wonder about the circumstances.
I'll say -

This sad fact is illuminated by Clonycavan man (pictured above) who suffered three blows from an axe to his head, one to his chest, and was also disemboweled before being mummified in an Irish peat bog.
Such charming ancestors we had.

Astronuc said:
I'll say -

Such charming ancestors we had.
Not nearly as bad as what they did to that other guy. I had no idea of the extreme torture that was used.

Evo said:
Not nearly as bad as what they did to that other guy. I had no idea of the extreme torture that was used.

Yeah, look what they did to his fingernails!

What are all of you deploring??
From my extensive reading of fantasy literature, anyone in the habit of prowling about bogs (not to mention residing there), would generally be a very nasty person adept in the dark arts.

That he was evil incarnate can also be seen from the depicted face of one of the bog guys. Most probably, he was a lich before he un-undied.
Good riddance to them both.

Last edited:
Evo said:
You mean -

"He was stabbed, his nipples were sliced, and he had holes cut in his upper arms through which a rope was threaded in order to restrain him," Mulhall said. He was also cut in half across the torso.
Makes me think of drawing and quartering that was practiced in parts of Europe.

I had heard of the other bodies found in Netherlands and Germany -

For instance, Lindow man, displayed at London's British Museum, was struck twice on the head, garroted, and had his throat slit from ear to ear.

Possibly execution for some transgression or some ritualistic sacrifice.

I think in the bogs of northern Europe, some bodies are of young folk possibly sacrificed, perhaps at winter solstice or maybe during the spring.

And to think, we are alive today only because all of our ancestors survived all of that through how many hundreds or thousands of years!

Last edited:
Not too long ago they found an ancient can of face cream in London? that was made of unknown substances. I don't see what's so amazing about that. I mean, people were building pyramids all the way back to 3000 b.c.. Do they think they were walking around on all fours during those times? :rofl:

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
Not too long ago they found an ancient can of face cream in London? that was made of unknown substances. I don't see what's so amazing about that. I mean, people were building pyramids all the way back to 3000 b.c.. Do they think they were walking around on all fours during those times? :rofl:

Well, all fours eh? I do believe the Egytians are credited with inventing a form of a brewery in their day!

I think I've solved the problem of where these two bog interlopers have hailed from. They seem to have stumbled upon Scientific American's rendition of a "time machine" and ended up in Ireland some 2000 years before they test drove the machine.

Brief intro to the time machine at Sci American:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0004226A-F77D-1D4A-90FB809EC5880000

So, these were everyday North Americans, fresh out of the men's spa, a little excited about trying out the machine... then... wallah... they find themselves surrounded by St.Pattie's day revelers who subsequently are freaked to see them then tear them to shreds and stuff them in the bog, where all unexplained creatures, dead and alive, belong. Aye.

Last edited:
arildno said:
What are all of you deploring??
From my extensive reading of fantasy literature, anyone in the habit of prowling about bogs (not to mention residing there), would generally be a very nasty person adept in the dark arts.

That he was evil incarnate can also be seen from the depicted face of one of the bog guys. Most probably, he was a lich before he un-undied.
Good riddance to them both.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So true! Though I would have said a necromancer, liches are dead necromancers so in the classic sense he would have been a skeleton.

Correction:
A lich is an UN-dead necromancer, and can only unundie (i.e, become a skeleton and pile of yellow dust beside).

1. What is a "bog man"?

A bog man, also known as a bog body, is a human cadaver that has been naturally preserved in a peat bog. The acidic, oxygen-deprived environment of a bog can slow down the decomposition process and result in the preservation of soft tissues and even hair and nails.

2. How were these bog men discovered?

These bog men were most likely discovered by archaeologists or peat workers. Peat is commonly used as a fuel source and during the harvesting process, workers may come across bog bodies. Archaeologists may also excavate bogs in search of ancient artifacts.

3. What is the significance of the hair gel and manicured nails?

The presence of hair gel and manicured nails on these bog men suggests that they were individuals of high social status in their societies. Grooming and personal care were likely important indicators of wealth and status in the cultures where these individuals lived.

4. What can we learn from studying these bog men?

Studying these bog men can provide insight into ancient cultures and their burial practices. It can also reveal information about the individuals themselves, such as their social status, diet, and health conditions. Additionally, the preservation of soft tissues can allow for DNA analysis and provide information about their ancestry and relationships to modern populations.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the study of bog bodies?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding the study of bog bodies, particularly in regards to respect for the deceased individuals. It is important for researchers to handle and study these bodies with care and to consult with local communities and indigenous groups who may have cultural ties to the individuals or the land where they were found.