What Career Paths Can I Pursue with My Interests in Mathematics and Physics?

• Thread starter kaitamasaki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation is about a student in grade 11 who has a love for mathematics and physics and is considering a career in engineering. However, they also have an interest in psychology and philosophy. The advice given is to not worry about career choices yet and to explore different subjects in university before making a decision.
kaitamasaki
advice on choosing career :D

I am currently in grade 11, and I have a deep love for mathematics and physics, and I am also taking calculus this year so I'll be ahead of my other friends :rofl: But I really don't know what type of careers my interests can offer and what things I can take if I am in university. I'm considering engineering, but I truly hate hands-on (in Chemistry class we do a lot of labs, and I absolutely hate hands-on, because I am really not a physical learner, I am quite lazy and I rather just work with numbers and formulas etc.) Would engineering still be a desirable kind of thing for me?

I also love being an analytical thinker and I might also have an interest in psychology or philosophy. I actually think a lot about physics in my spare time.

Physics news on Phys.org
You really have no need to worry about career choices just yet. Go to a university with quality programs all around and take physics, engineering, math, psychology, philosophy and whatever other subjects strike you as interesting. At an American liberal arts institution, you have that flexibility. No need to decide just yet.

Stephan Hoyer said:
You really have no need to worry about career choices just yet. Go to a university with quality programs all around and take physics, engineering, math, psychology, philosophy and whatever other subjects strike you as interesting. At an American liberal arts institution, you have that flexibility. No need to decide just yet.

I agree.

Just explore things now, and worry about making the big decision later.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a career?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a career. These include your interests, skills, values, and personality. It's important to choose a career that aligns with these factors to ensure long-term satisfaction and success.

2. How do I determine my strengths and weaknesses?

There are many ways to determine your strengths and weaknesses. One method is to reflect on past experiences and identify tasks or activities that you excelled at and those that you struggled with. You can also take career aptitude tests or seek feedback from others.

3. Should I choose a career based on salary or passion?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your priorities and goals. If financial stability is important to you, then salary may be a major factor in your career choice. However, it's also important to consider your passions and choose a career that brings you fulfillment and happiness.

4. Is it okay to change careers later on?

Yes, it's completely normal and acceptable to change careers at any point in your life. It's important to continually assess your interests and goals and make changes as needed. With the right skills and attitude, you can successfully transition into a new career.

5. How can I gain experience in a field before committing to it?

There are several ways to gain experience in a field before committing to it. You can intern or volunteer in a relevant position, take classes or workshops, or reach out to professionals in the field for informational interviews. Additionally, you can research and read about the industry to gain a better understanding of what the work entails.