Condensed Matter; Mathematics/Experimental Skills Needed

In summary, if you want to do theoretical condensed matter physics, you need to be proficient in algebra, calculus, geometry, and a few other basic math topics. Additionally, you will need some experimental skills and knowledge of electronics and instrumentation. Mathematica is commonly used for numerical work in physics, but there is a good reference for those looking to go beyond a basic/intermediate use of the software.
d2dbo
Can anyone say concisely what the key mathematical subjects/techniques one must master for theoretical condensed matter physics are? (To be specific; things like Mesoscopic physics, Nanomagnetism, Semiconductor Physics, and then of course the low temperature stuff)

Also, in general what hands on skills/techniques would be handy in the lab? (e.g electronics machine shop stuff, equipment used, etc)

Also, is Mathematica used at all for numerical work in Condensed Matter?
Can someone suggest a good reference for going beyond a basic/intermediate use of mathematica for numerical work in physics.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Numerical work(electron structure calculations for example) is mostly done with fortran, c and c++. People often do use MATLAB to fit models to experimental data. Basically the mathematics you must master is what you need for advanced quantum mechanics. That's been discussed numerous times in the quantum physics forum and I suggest you do a search there.

The experimental skills and such are usually something you learn along the way by doing. Experienced researchers and lab engineers/technicians are an invaluable source of knowledge on instrumentation. Knowing basic electronics and instrumentation (amplifiers, detectors etc. etc. ) is good but you won't really learn too much anything useful until you start using them. Perseverance and patience are good virtues (not skills though...) because the key thing in building experimental setups is that nothing EVER works at the first, second, ... Nth attempt.

d2dbo : What is your current background ? Are you an undergrad or grad student ?

inha said:
Basically the mathematics you must master is what you need for advanced quantum mechanics. That's been discussed numerous times in the quantum physics forum and I suggest you do a search there.

I agree, the types of calculations will dictate the math required. For example, my research for my degree did not involve many-body techniques at all, never had to calculate a Greens' function in anything I did. Now if you work in superconductivity, the entire field is full of many-body techniques and you better know it.

As for the experimental techniques, I would suggest learning from the mechanical engineering department some basic shop techniques like working with lathes, mills and presses. It will come in handy. Electronics is a necessary evil to design and work with custom detectors. LabView to program lab setups to automate data taking is a really important skill (I had to learn it in the last 6 months for work I am doing). Glass blowing is something that an experimental group may need.

The one skill I cannot put enough emphasis on is determination of experimental uncertainty. Right now in industry, there is a hugh push to put error bars on all their data.

d2dbo said:
Can anyone say concisely what the key mathematical subjects/techniques one must master for theoretical condensed matter physics are? (To be specific; things like Mesoscopic physics, Nanomagnetism, Semiconductor Physics, and then of course the low temperature stuff)
This is a little bit of cheating since I was also a double major in math, but my math courses in Topology, Differential Geometry, and Group/Ring Theory were not only a lot of fun but had a ton of applications to condensed matter, especially topology (i.e. topological derivation of flux quantization, topological point defects). If you were to learn these subjects on your own, Dover has some great books (for cheap) on the subjects.

What is condensed matter?

Condensed matter is a branch of physics that deals with the physical properties of solid and liquid materials at a macroscopic level. It includes the study of the structure, behavior, and properties of materials such as metals, semiconductors, and polymers.

Why is mathematics important in the study of condensed matter?

Mathematics is important in the study of condensed matter because it helps in understanding the fundamental principles and behavior of materials at a microscopic level. It also allows for the development of mathematical models and theories to explain and predict the properties of condensed matter systems.

What experimental skills are needed in the study of condensed matter?

Experimental skills needed in the study of condensed matter include designing and setting up experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and interpreting results. It also requires knowledge of various techniques such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and crystallography.

How does condensed matter research contribute to technology?

Condensed matter research has contributed significantly to the development of new technologies, such as semiconductors, superconductors, and new materials for various applications. It has also led to improvements and advancements in fields such as electronics, energy storage, and medical technology.

What are some current areas of research in condensed matter?

Some current areas of research in condensed matter include topological materials, quantum computing, and nanotechnology. Other areas of interest include the study of complex systems, such as biological systems, and the development of new materials with specific properties for various applications.