Tricky Problem (at least for me)

• Thread starter need help
  • Start date
In summary: If you can determine the direction of the friction force, you can determine the direction of the net force. In summary, the final velocity with an initial velocity of 0m/s, an acceleration of .76m/s2, and a distance of 2meters would be approximately 1.38m/s. To find the net force, you can use the equation F(net) = ma, where m is the mass, a is the acceleration, and F(net) is the net force. In this case, the net force would be approximately 44.25N.
need help
If I have a initial velocity of 0m/s and an acceleration of .76m/s2 and a distance of 2meters what would my final velocity be?

Also I need to find F(net) I know a mu of .15 a time of 5seconds a mass of 5kg and force of gravity equals 49N an normal force equals -49N and force of friction equals -7.35N. I think I'm supposed to use the velocity found in the question above, but I'm not sure and I don't know how. How do I find F(net) with the information I have and what is the answer??

Any help would be greatly appriciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
need help said:
If I have a initial velocity of 0m/s and an acceleration of .76m/s2 and a distance of 2meters what would my final velocity be?
[itex] v_{f,x}^2 = v_{i,x}^2 + 2 a_x (x_f-x_i) [/itex] where x_f-x_i is essentially the distance traveled. have you seen this equation before?
Also I need to find F(net) I know a mu of .15 a time of 5seconds a mass of 5kg and force of gravity equals 49N an normal force equals -49N and force of friction equals -7.35N. I think I'm supposed to use the velocity found in the question above, but I'm not sure and I don't know how. How do I find F(net) with the information I have and what is the answer??

Any help would be greatly appriciated...
It

The key point is that the magnitude of the friction force is equal to the magnitude of the normal force times the coefficient of kinetic friction [itex] \mu_k[/itex]

Firstly, to answer the initial question, we can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and s is the distance. Plugging in the given values, we get v^2 = (0)^2 + 2(.76)(2) = 3.04. Taking the square root of both sides, we get v = 1.74 m/s as the final velocity.

As for finding F(net), we can use the equation F(net) = ma, where m is the mass and a is the acceleration. In this case, we are given a value for the mass (5kg) and the acceleration (0.76m/s^2). Plugging in these values, we get F(net) = (5)(0.76) = 3.8N.

However, we also need to consider the forces acting on the object, which are the force of gravity, normal force, and force of friction. The net force is the sum of these forces, taking into account their directions. In this case, the force of gravity and normal force are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, so they cancel each other out. This leaves us with only the force of friction, which is -7.35N. Therefore, the net force is F(net) = -7.35N.

I would advise double checking the given values and equations to ensure accuracy in the calculations. If you are still unsure, it would be best to consult with a teacher or colleague for further clarification.

1. What steps should I take to solve a tricky problem?

When faced with a tricky problem, it's important to first analyze the problem and understand its components. Then, brainstorm possible solutions and evaluate each one carefully. Once you have selected a solution, create a plan and follow through with it, making necessary adjustments along the way.

2. How can I prevent getting stuck on a tricky problem?

To prevent getting stuck on a tricky problem, try to approach it from different angles and perspectives. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek guidance from others. Additionally, taking breaks and coming back to the problem with a fresh mind can often lead to new insights and solutions.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a tricky problem?

Some common mistakes people make when trying to solve a tricky problem include only considering one solution, rushing through the problem without fully understanding it, and ignoring important information or details. It's also important to not get discouraged and give up too quickly.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One of the best ways to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving puzzles, tackling challenging tasks, and seeking out difficult problems to solve. Additionally, constantly learning and acquiring new knowledge can also enhance problem-solving abilities.

5. What should I do if I can't seem to find a solution to a tricky problem?

If you're having trouble finding a solution to a tricky problem, it's important to not get discouraged. Take a step back and try approaching the problem from a different angle. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help or seek advice from others. Sometimes, a fresh perspective can lead to a breakthrough in finding a solution.