What are these called? And do you have one to add?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, a phrase that sounded like the traditional phrase, but had a word changed in a way that sort of still kept the intent of the phrase intact was called a malapropism. Norm Crosby was a well known comedian whose routines were based on malapropisms. Etymology: Mrs. Malaprop, character noted for her misuse of words in R. B. Sheridan's comedy The Rivals (1775). Norm Crosby was a well known comedian whose routines were based on malapropisms. One of my friends only recently got the pun in the name of the beatles' record label - apple corps. In summary, a phrase that sounded like the traditional phrase, but had a word changed in a way that sort
berkeman
Mentor
In a recent PF thread, a poster used a phrase that sounded like the traditional phrase, but had a word changed in a way that sort of still kept the intent of the phrase intact. I've run across a few of these in the past, and I always wondered if there was a name for them. Does anybody know? Here are the ones that I've seen, with the PF poster's listed first:

-- "For all intensive purposes..." when they meant "For all intents and purposes..."

-- "Not A Thorough Road" when they meant "Not A Through Road" (they had been misreading the road signs for years :rolleyes:

-- "White Beater Shirt" when they were referring to a "Wife Beater Shirt" (slang for the white sleaveless undershirts that some men wear)

-- "Wipe Board" when they were referring to a "White Board" (they thought the boards were named for how you erased them) :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Malapropisms.

I try to avoid them.

Norm Crosby was a well known comedian whose routines were based on malapropisms.

Etymology: Mrs. Malaprop, character noted for her misuse of words in R. B. Sheridan's comedy The Rivals (1775)
1 : the usually unintentionally humorous misuse or distortion of a word or phrase; especially : the use of a word sounding somewhat like the one intended but ludicrously wrong in the context
from MerriamWebster online

See also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism

Last edited:
The campers were intense all weekend...

J77 said:
The campers were intense all weekend...
LOL. I'm embarrased to say how long it took me to get that one! :rolleyes:

Hey thanks for the link, Astro. "For all intensive purposes" was even in there. :rofl:

From Wikipedia

"He drank himself to Bolivia" (instead of oblivion)
:rofl:

"Worst case Ontario..." (instead of scenario)
:rofl:

"Denial and Error..." (instead of trial)
On the other hand, the statement as is would be applicable to the Bush administration.

"I feel like a social piranha." (instead of pariah)
I've met a few people who might fit the definition of "social piranha. :rolleyes:

I prefer self-defecating humor.

Likes Irol
The very famous Internet phrase : "I resemble that comment". (as opposed to "I resent that comment."):biggrin:

berkeman said:
LOL. I'm embarrased to say how long it took me to get that one!

I find that I almost have to read a sentence aloud before a get soundplay.

I learned my lesson after it took me forever to understand what Hawking had in mind when he wrote "I think Roger's proposal is Weyl in more than one sense of the word." about Penrose's Weyl curvature hypothesis.

"Worst case Ontario..."

As someone who grew up in Ontario, I not sure how to take this. :smile:

Now, if "Ontario" is replace by ", Toronto", ... :wink:

Regards,
George

George Jones said:
I learned my lesson after it took me forever to understand what Hawking had in mind when he wrote "I think Roger's proposal is Weyl in more than one sense of the word." about Penrose's Weyl curvature hypothesis.
I don't get it. "while", "wily" ... ?

Edit : Nevermind. It's 'wild' isn't it ?

Gokul43201 said:
I don't get it. "while", "wily" ... ?

Edit : Nevermind. It's 'wild' isn't it ?

Vile!

Regards,
George

one of my friends only recently got the pun in the name of the beatles' record label - apple corps

it's only when you pronounce it rather than just seeing the word that you understand a lot of these kind of things

"I like the look of those pheasant shirts that are so popular today!":biggrin:

"I need my baby's eyes checked for genital cataracts and stigmata"

"The calvary is coming!"

This was a great ideal to talk about malapropisms!

I get so flustrated when I can't think of the right word to use.

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Vile!

Regards,
George
Yikes ! Would've never guessed that. Was stuck on the "w" sound.

I love this one (I'm trying to remember the original context):

"I'm not exactly an engineer, per say,..."

When my darts/baseball teams played out of a pub called 'The Eidelweiss Inn', I named them both 'The Weiss Squad'. :biggrin:

The world is my lobster!

brewnog said:
The world is my lobster!
That's a Bostonian thing to say. Except it's "lobstah."

My favourite of my wife's malapropisms:

"One of the primary tenants of that religion..."

My wife just filled out her "consensus" form. :rolleyes:

larkspur said:
"I like the look of those pheasant shirts that are so popular today!":biggrin:
Rats rats rats. I don't get it yet. Little help here folks...:uhh:

Baines circumscised the world with a 150 foot clipper.

She was taken into radiology to be thoroughly X-rated by a doctor.

Graffito at the U of Wisconsin, Madison, circa 1964: Thoreau the bums out!

1. What are these called?

These are called research questions or scientific inquiries. They are used to guide the scientific process and explore a specific topic or phenomenon.

2. What is the purpose of having research questions?

The purpose of having research questions is to provide a clear and focused direction for a scientific study. They help to define the scope of the research and guide the collection and analysis of data.

3. How are research questions different from hypotheses?

Research questions are broad and open-ended, while hypotheses are specific and testable statements. Research questions are used to guide the overall study, while hypotheses are used to make predictions and test specific relationships between variables.

4. Can research questions change during a study?

Yes, research questions can change during a study as new information is gathered and analyzed. It is important for scientists to remain open-minded and adaptable to any new insights that may arise.

5. Do research questions have to be answered?

No, research questions do not necessarily have to be answered. Sometimes, a study may not find a clear answer to the research question, but may still provide valuable information and insights. Other times, a study may lead to new questions and avenues for future research.