Electric Force: Find Point of Zero Charge on X-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a point where the electric force on a third charge Q would be zero, given that a positive charge +2q lies on the x-axis at x=-a and a charge -q at x=+a. Suggestions include using Coulomb's Law and Newton's 2nd Law of Motion, and breaking the problem into three steps. The final step involves setting the magnitudes of the two forces on Q equal and solving for the unknown variable, d. There is also a discussion on the different regions where the two forces may be opposite and have the same magnitude. The conversation ends with a thank you and a note that the person needs to pass the problem the following morning.
jairusgarcia
can someone help me on this? thanks in advance:

A positive charge +2q lies on the x-axis at x=-a and a charge -q at x=+a. Find a point where the electric force on the third charge Q would be zero.

should i continue on using Coulomb's Law, and just use arbitrary variables or is there another waY? thanks :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Coulomb's law in conjunction with Newton's 2d law of motion.
Let "X" stand for the unknown position of the particle with charge Q.

arildno said:
Use Coulomb's law in conjunction with Newton's 2d law of motion.

what do you mean?

i have been trying to solve it using x as an unknown distance, and i end up having this equation

2(x-a)^2 = (a-x)^2

help!

do you know an easy solution to this?

jairusgarcia said:
what do you mean?

i have been trying to solve it using x as an unknown distance, and i end up having this equation

2(x-a)^2 = (a-x)^2

help!

do you know an easy solution to this?
This is incorrect!
You should end up with:
[tex]2(x-a)^{2}=(x+a)^{2}[/tex]
To solve this for x, remember the quadratic formula.

jairusgarcia said:
can someone help me on this? thanks in advance:

A positive charge +2q lies on the x-axis at x=-a and a charge -q at x=+a. Find a point where the electric force on the third charge Q would be zero.

should i continue on using Coulomb's Law, and just use arbitrary variables or is there another waY? thanks :tongue:
It's always better to do this type of problems in 3 steps.

Imagine that the charrge Q is positive, say (it turns out that the final answer would be the same if Q was negative as you can verify later).

First step: just look at the *directions* of the forces due to your two charges in all three regions (to the left of +2q, between the two charges and to the right of the -q). You are obviously looking for a region in which the two forces must be opposite. Here you will find that there are two regions possible

second step: now consider the magnitudes of the two forces. Not only the two forces must be in opposite directions, they must have the same magnitude. In which region is this possible? You will find that only one of the two regions of the first step satifies this.

third step; now pick an arbitrary point in the correct region, at a distance "d" (your unknown) from on ethe two charges. express the distance to the other charge in terms of d (it could be something like 2a-d or d-2a or a-d, depending on the region you are working in), set the two magnitudes of the forces on Q equal (Q will ancel out) and solve for d.

Patrick

thanks for the tips... i appreciate it nrqed and arildno. il try your suggestions. :D

nrqed said:
You are obviously looking for a region in which the two forces must be opposite. Here you will find that there are two regions possible
Patrick

the two given forces or each force with respect to Q?

jairusgarcia said:
the two given forces or each force with respect to Q?
I don't know what you mean by the "given forces".
The problem is to find where to place Q so that the net force on it will be zero, right? So you need to look at the two forces *on Q*. Those are the only two dorces you are interested in in this problem.
(th eonly other forces you could calculate would be the force of the -2q on the q or vice versa but these are irrelevant to the problem)

well, i still don't get it, but il try. thanks

jairusgarcia said:
well, i still don't get it, but il try. thanks
What part don't you get?
Is the question clear to you? Are you confused about the 3 steps I gave? You need to find the point where a charge Q would feel no net force, which means that the force produced by the -2q (on Q) would cancel the force of the +q (on Q). You need two conditiosn for that: the two forces must have opposite directions and they must have the same magnitude.

ok. ^_^ got to rush, i need to pass this early this morning, and its already 2am here. hehe thanks for the help!

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interaction between charged particles. It can be attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles involved.

2. How is electric force calculated?

Electric force is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the point of zero charge on the x-axis?

The point of zero charge on the x-axis is the location where the net electric force on a charged particle is zero. This means that the attractive and repulsive forces from other charged particles cancel out, resulting in no overall force acting on the particle.

4. How is the point of zero charge on the x-axis determined?

The point of zero charge on the x-axis can be determined by setting the electric force equation equal to zero and solving for the distance. This gives the location on the x-axis where the net electric force is zero.

5. Why is the point of zero charge important?

The point of zero charge is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in a given system. It can affect the stability and movement of particles, and is also important in applications such as electrostatics and materials science.