Choosing Between EE and EC: Expert Advice for Confused Engineers

• Thread starter Prince Stephen Ranji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee
In summary,An undergraduate is confused about which branch of engineering to choose, as there is no formal way to switch between the two branches once you've joined. The two most popular branches are electrical engineering and electronics engineering, which are both good academically. However, if you're interested in a different field, you should get a hold of the entire course list for both programs and make a decision based on what you want to do.
Prince Stephen Ranji
I am bit confused with choosing an appropiate engg branch as there is no provision to change from one branch to another after joining
Electrical & Electronics (EE) & Electronics & Communication (EC), which is more interesting anyone please help me in choosing one.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the course structure followed in your institution. For the first three years--assuming this is a 4 year bachelor's program in engineering--you do electrical science, control systems, and other important courses. In the fourth year or end of third year, you can chose to do more communications-related courses in EC or electrical-engineering courses (advanced control systems, microelectronics, digital signal processing, power systems, electromagnetics, microwaves/antennas, radar systems, instrumentation).

In India, for example, most students opt for Computer Science cold (if they can) and then for anything else, the preference order being EC and then EE for some weird reason (perhaps companies in the telecom arena prefer or consider EC people as they can be directly moulded to suit their workforce as opposed to EE people who have a wider course experience usually and hence might not be willing to work on software per se). I am told that EC has a higher rate of occupancy as does CSE and so a socially higher prestige value.

As your decision hinges on these options, you should get hold of the ENTIRE course list for both these programmes and then decide what you want to do. Mind you, academically, both branches (and ALL branches) are good...so you should ask yourself which one YOU want to chose rather than which is the better one :-).

Which college is this?

Last edited:
Thanks for your helpfull advice.I am not yet placed to any college.I want to know whether electronics topics are there in EE branch,also can i migrate to electronics field after completing EE cource.

Last edited:
Oh yes, a major part of EE is electronics. In fact, the courses I named there have practical labs where you have to do simulation and circuit work. There are theory courses too, for instance an image processing course will use various transforms and mathematical techniques to show how information is stored, processed and recovered in images.

Per se, there is no 'electronics field'. If you were talking about a job, then indeed most EE people go into electronics-related areas other than software.

thanks for your valuable advice

Most welcome :smile: but I am just an undergraduate so I would say keep posting on these forums as there are many experienced people who can give some nice advice.

Cheers

1. Which engineering field has better job opportunities: Electrical Engineering or Electronics and Communication Engineering?

Both Electrical Engineering (EE) and Electronics and Communication Engineering (EC) have excellent job opportunities in various industries such as power generation, telecommunications, consumer electronics, and manufacturing. The choice ultimately depends on your personal interests and skillset.

2. Is the curriculum of Electrical Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering similar?

The curriculum of EE and EC may have some overlapping courses, as both fields deal with the study of electricity and electronics. However, EE focuses more on power generation and distribution, while EC focuses on communication systems and devices.

3. Which engineering field has a higher salary: Electrical Engineering or Electronics and Communication Engineering?

The salary for both EE and EC engineers largely depends on their job role, experience, and company. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for electrical engineers in 2020 was $103,390, while for electronics engineers, it was $108,430.

4. What are the major differences between Electrical Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering?

The main difference between EE and EC is the focus of their studies. EE deals with the generation, transmission, and distribution of electrical power, while EC deals with the design and development of electronic devices, communication systems, and information processing.

5. Which engineering field has better growth opportunities: Electrical Engineering or Electronics and Communication Engineering?

Both EE and EC have excellent growth opportunities, as technology is constantly advancing in both fields. However, the demand for electronics and communication engineers is expected to grow faster than electrical engineers due to the rapid growth of the tech industry.