RP material suggestion needed (strong plastic)

In summary: Thanks for the input.I'm looking for a material that can be used to make small strong plastic prototype parts. I think that the term 'soft tooling' refers to machining the components, so I'm looking into Delrin, nylon 66 or 77, Torlon, etc.
leoflc
I've been looking for some kind of strong transparent/translucent Silicone RTV to make some small strong plastic prototype parts.

So far I've only found stuff like smooth-on, but there should be something stronger out there.. I think..

Does anyone know a material that would fit my need?

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about silicone materials other than just the regular sealant that comes in a tube. I also don't know what you mean by 'strong'. Is it purely a matter of structural integrity, or do you need wear-resistance, high compression or tension tolerance, torsion... you get the picture.
Have you considered the binary acrylic compounds such as Casolite, that are used for making paper-weights, key fobs, etc.? They're normally colourless, but can be tinted with additives, and just pour into a mould.

I'm trying to do soft tooling, but I'll look into Casolite.

Does anyone else know anything more about material for soft tooling?

Thanks.

I reluctantly admit that I don't know what the term 'soft tooling' means. If it involves machining the components, then I'd look into Delrin, nylon 66 or 77, Torlon, etc..

leoflc said:
I've been looking for some kind of strong transparent/translucent Silicone RTV to make some small strong plastic prototype parts.

Does it have to be transparent/translucent? If this isn't such an important requirement, might try some stuff called POR Epoxy Putty.

I must say that your need is not fully explained in your thread...but you talk about some type of soft toolable silicone. It would be very necessary for you to explain what your pourpose is since there are virtually millions of different types of plastics that incorporate the usage of many other materials. One such usage is resins and other usages include many different compounds. They all are mixed in different amounts to create many types of plastics which have unique characteristics which include temperature resistance, acidic resistance, scratch resistance, plyability, and lucidity. So what combination are you looking for and what spacifically are your needs.

1. What is RP material and why is it important for strong plastic?

RP (Rapid Prototyping) material is a type of plastic that is used in 3D printing and other manufacturing processes to create prototypes and products. It is important for strong plastic because it has specific characteristics and properties that make it ideal for creating durable and resilient objects.

2. What are the most common types of RP materials used for strong plastic?

The most common types of RP materials used for strong plastic are ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), PLA (Polylactic Acid), and PETG (Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol-modified). These materials have high strength and rigidity, making them suitable for creating strong plastic objects.

3. How do I choose the right RP material for my project?

Choosing the right RP material for your project depends on a few factors such as the strength and durability requirements, the intended use of the object, and the printing process being used. It is best to consult with a materials expert or do some research to determine the best material for your specific project.

4. Are there any environmentally friendly RP materials for strong plastic?

Yes, there are environmentally friendly options for RP materials such as PLA, which is made from renewable resources like cornstarch and sugarcane. PETG is also considered more environmentally friendly as it can be recycled multiple times without losing its strength and durability.

5. Can RP materials be used for other purposes besides creating strong plastic objects?

Absolutely! RP materials can be used for a variety of purposes such as creating prototypes for product development, creating custom parts for machinery and equipment, and even for artistic and creative projects. The possibilities are endless with RP materials.