Is the Clem Conical Pump Engine Actually a Functional Machine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential of a hydraulic engine that could run for nine days without any external energy input. The conversation includes links to websites with plans for this engine, but one participant dismisses it as a scam and points out that the engine relies on a steady supply of high-pressure gas or fluid. The conversation also mentions the tip-jet function, which was invented in ancient Greece and is used in some helicopters. Overall, the participants conclude that the engine is not practical and is based on false claims of over-unity.
avemt1
I have found a few sites that contains plans for a hydraulic engine that could run itself for a total of nine days.
http://www.rexresearch.com/clemengn/clemengn.htm"
http://www.keelynet.com/energy/clemindex.htm"
Would it be practical to use this as an engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a load of bobbins to me. No engine will produce work without putting energy in.

Two words..."over unity."

Oh hang on, the second link seems to show a car powered by vegetable oil. That's a far cry from the "over unity" cobblers perpertated by the first link, or did I just see various crackpot soundbites and close it down too quickly?

"I don't put any fuel in, just this vegetable oil every now and then". Idiot, that might be why you don't need to put any gasoline in. You don't need to put gasoline in a Diesel car either, what am I missing? I could put 8 gallons of vegetable oil into an engine and get it to run for 9 days, but that has nothing to do with over-unity or an engine which doesn't need fuel.

Last edited:
There's no way that I'm going to waste time going through that whole link. From what I did read, a few pages, it's a total crock. The nearest thing to reality in there is the tip-jet function, which is used in some helicopters. That entirely relies upon a supply of high-pressure gas or fluid, which energy is required to produce, and was in fact invented in ancient Greece.

"tip-jet function","invented in ancient Greece"
Hero's steam engine?

That's the one.

avemt1 said:
Would it be practical to use this as an engine.
Uh, no. It's a scam. The diagram 2/3 of the way down on the first link shows a device that does absolutely nothing. It's a turbine spun by a pump - and when you shut off the pump, the tubine stops spinning.

Last edited:

What is "The Clem Conical Pump Engine"?

The Clem Conical Pump Engine is a type of pump engine that was invented by scientist John Clem in 1864. It is a conical shaped engine that is used to pump water or other fluids.

How does "The Clem Conical Pump Engine" work?

The Clem Conical Pump Engine works by utilizing the motion of the conical shape to create a vacuum that draws in the fluid. As the engine rotates, the fluid is then pushed out through the outlet.

What are the advantages of using "The Clem Conical Pump Engine"?

One of the main advantages of using The Clem Conical Pump Engine is its efficiency. Due to its unique design, it requires less energy to operate compared to other pump engines. It is also more durable and has a longer lifespan.

What are some common applications of "The Clem Conical Pump Engine"?

The Clem Conical Pump Engine has various applications, including water pumping for irrigation, drainage, and firefighting. It is also commonly used in the oil and gas industry for oil well pumping and in chemical plants for fluid transfer.

What are the key components of "The Clem Conical Pump Engine"?

The main components of The Clem Conical Pump Engine include the conical pump, a drive shaft, and a power source. The conical pump is the main working part of the engine, while the drive shaft connects the engine to the power source, which can be an electric motor or an internal combustion engine.