A ball rolling down an incline

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the linear acceleration of a solid sphere rolling without slipping down a 30 degree incline. The two methods mentioned for solving this problem are torque and energy methods, but the necessary information for both methods is not provided. Finally, a solution is suggested using the formulas for motion with constant acceleration.
rleung3
Hey,

I have been thinking about this problem for a while to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass M and radius R rolls without slipping down a 30 degree incline (see figure attached).

What is the linear acceleration, a, of the sphere down the incline?

Homework Equations

I=(2/5)MR^2

torque = (Ia)/R = rxF

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know of two ways to solve for this: energy methods or torque methods. To do torque, I would need to know the value of the static friction that is keeping the ball from slipping, but I don't have that information. For energy methods, I don't have a height from where the ball began to roll, so I don't see how I can use that.

Here is my attempt at torque:

torque = (-Ia)/R = -fR where f=force of static friction

=> Ia = fR^2 => substitute I=(2/5)MR^2 => (2/5)(MR^2)a = fR^2 => f=(2/5)Ma => a=(5f)/(2M)

I don't know where to go from here. The answer is (5/14)g. I must be missing some type of other alternative to solving this problem, but I can't think of what. Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

Ryan

Attachments

• physics practice final no 18 mc.jpg
    physics practice final no 18 mc.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 668
Physics news on Phys.org
You need three essential parts :
F' is friction

1) Mgsin(30) - F' = Ma (a along incline and the positive direction is along the incline as well)

2) F' R = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

3) [tex]\alpha[/tex] = a/R

Put the F' from 1) into 2) to get rid of it. Then use 3) to solve for a

marlon

If you want to use an energy method, you can assume it rolls an arbitrary distance starting from rest, find the final linear and angular velocities, then find the accleration using the formulas for motion with constant acceleration.

Ohh! Thank you. Yea, I am definitely rusty at this..has been a while.

1. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the speed of the ball?

The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will roll. This is because the force of gravity pulling the ball downhill increases as the angle of the incline increases, leading to a greater acceleration and higher speed.

2. How does the mass of the ball affect its motion down the incline?

The mass of the ball does not have a direct effect on its motion down the incline. As long as the incline and surface remain constant, the mass of the ball will not change its acceleration or speed. However, a heavier ball may have more momentum and require more force to stop or change directions compared to a lighter ball.

3. What role does friction play in the ball's movement down the incline?

Friction between the ball and the incline's surface can slow down the ball's motion. If the surface is rough, there will be more friction and the ball will roll slower. However, if the surface is smooth, there will be less friction and the ball will roll faster.

4. How does the height of the incline affect the ball's speed?

The height of the incline does not directly affect the ball's speed. However, a higher incline will increase the potential energy of the ball, which will then convert into kinetic energy as the ball rolls downhill. This will result in a higher speed compared to a lower incline.

5. Can the ball's shape affect its motion down the incline?

Yes, the shape of the ball can affect its motion down the incline. A ball with a rounder shape will have less air resistance and may roll faster compared to a ball with a more irregular shape. Additionally, the shape can also affect the ball's stability and how easily it can maintain its path down the incline.