Rolling Paper: Analyzing Motion and Energy

She has correctly used the equation M_g R = (1/2) m v^2 + (1/2) I \omega^2 + m g r and notes that the density of the paper remains constant. In summary, Dorothy has set up a problem using conservation of energy to determine the speed of the center of mass of a roll of paper as it unrolls and decreases in radius. She correctly uses the equation M_g R = (1/2) m v^2 + (1/2) I \omega^2 + m g r and notes that
montreal1775

Homework Statement

A large, cylindrical roll of paper of initial radius R lies on a long, horizontal surface with the open end of the paper nailed to the surface. The roll is given a slight shove (initial velocity is negligible) and begins to unroll. Determine the speed of the center of mass of the roll when its radius has diminished to r. Assume the roll has uniform density.

Homework Equations

[tex] K_i + U_i=K_f+U_f [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have set up the problem using conservation of energy:

[tex] M_g R = (1/2) m v^2 + (1/2) I \omega^2 + m g r[/tex]

I think this is the proper way to set it up, but I don't know how to find the relationship between the initial mass, final mass, and the radius.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me.

For your question, while the masses will change, the density of the paper will remain the same. Use that fact.

Dorothy

Is there a way to determine this without knowing the specific values?

I would first clarify any assumptions that are being made in this problem. For example, is the roll of paper assumed to be a perfect cylinder with no friction or air resistance? Is the surface it is rolling on perfectly smooth? These factors could affect the solution.

Assuming that the roll of paper is a perfect cylinder with uniform density and that the surface it is rolling on is frictionless, we can use the conservation of energy equation you have set up. The initial potential energy is equal to the final kinetic energy and final potential energy, since the paper starts at rest and ends at a lower height. However, we also need to consider the rotational kinetic energy of the roll.

To find the relationship between the initial mass, final mass, and radius, we can use the fact that the volume of the roll remains constant. The volume of a cylinder is given by V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height. Since we know that the height of the roll decreases from R to r, we can set up the equation:

πR^2h = πr^2h'

Where h' is the final height of the roll. We can then solve for h' in terms of R, r, and h:

h' = (R^2/r^2)h

Since the density of the roll is uniform, the mass is directly proportional to the volume. Therefore, we can say that the initial mass (M) is equal to the final mass (m) multiplied by the ratio of the initial and final heights:

M = (R^2/r^2)m

Plugging this into the conservation of energy equation, we get:

Mgh = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)Iω^2 + mgr

Substituting in the relationship between M and m, and simplifying, we get:

(R^2/r^2)mgh = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)(1/2)mR^2ω^2 + mgr

Solving for v, we get:

v = sqrt(2gh(1-(r^2/R^2)) + (R^2/r^2)ω^2)

This is the speed of the center of mass of the roll when its radius has diminished to r. It includes both the translational and

1. What is rolling paper and why is it important in analyzing motion and energy?

Rolling paper is a thin material, typically made of wood pulp, used to roll cigarettes or other substances for smoking. It is important in analyzing motion and energy because it is often used as a simple and effective tool for studying the principles of physics, such as motion, energy, and friction.

2. How does rolling paper demonstrate the concept of motion?

Rolling paper can demonstrate the concept of motion through the rolling motion it creates when a substance is rolled inside it. This motion can be analyzed in terms of speed, acceleration, and velocity, providing a practical example of these concepts in action.

3. What types of energy are involved in the rolling paper experiment?

The rolling paper experiment involves both potential and kinetic energy. Potential energy is stored in the rolling paper as it is rolled up, while kinetic energy is released as the paper unravels and the substance inside moves.

4. How does friction affect the rolling paper experiment?

Friction plays a crucial role in the rolling paper experiment as it creates resistance against the motion of the substance inside the paper. This resistance can be affected by factors such as the texture of the rolling paper, the surface it is rolled on, and the weight and shape of the substance being rolled.

5. How can the results of the rolling paper experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The results of the rolling paper experiment can be applied in real-life situations, such as understanding the motion and energy involved in rolling objects like balls or wheels, as well as in the design and function of machinery and vehicles that involve rolling motion. Additionally, it can help in understanding the physics behind sports, such as bowling, skating, and curling.