Study says Women are germier than men

• Thread starter Newbie says Hi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study Women
In summary, the study found that women have more bacteria than men on their desks, phones, computers, and other personal belongings. Men's wallets were found to be the worst culprit for germ contamination, followed by their hands.
Newbie says Hi
Study says Women are "germier" than men

According to the study by University of Arizona professor Charles Gerba:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17158542/

"Women have three to four times the number of bacteria in, on and around their desks, phones, computers, keyboards, drawers and personal items as men do."

Gerba goes on to say that "[t]he average office desktop has 400 times more bacteria than the average office toilet seat."

The guys didn't fare much better either because Gerba found the worst overall office germ offender is men's wallets.

The gist of the study is basically (I am paraphrasing here):
Guys... 2 words... money clip.
Ladies... 3 words... anti-bacterial soap.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is a money clip better than a wallet in terms of bacteria?

mattmns said:
How is a money clip better than a wallet in terms of bacteria?

I was taking liberty from the study in suggesting using a money clip. I could be way wrong here but I'd think that a money clip would provide better air flow than the warm, even sometimes damp wallet, thereby impeding bacterial growth.

Most of the germs in a wallet are yours, thus anyone who steals it is taking a highly effective bio-weapon :smile:, I mean who else handles your wallet? People are too paranoid about bacteria these days anyway.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Most of the germs in a wallet are yours, thus anyone who steals it is taking a highly effective bio-weapon :smile:
LOL... it's not so rosy when you consider these days, the theif will probably turn around and sue for medical compensation if he gets sick!:rofl:

Infact, he could claim to be doing you a public service by taking your germ infested money... and you dared to prevent him!

I mean who else handles your wallet? People are too paranoid about bacteria these days anyway.

I think part of it has to do also with the question of who handles the contents of your wallet (i.e. how often do you trade your money for someone else's germ infested money).

Oh, I'm not one of those people who is paranoid about bacteria in general... just the bad ones that make me sick :)

I knew women were germier than men :eek: And they go on at us.

I knew it! It's just like I was told at age five: Girls have cooties.

Hey God, I know I prayed for a filthy woman, but this isn't what I meant! :)

Are germs really all that bad? Seems to me that we have been led through ambitious marketing to believe that they are much worse than they actually are.

verty said:
Are germs really all that bad? Seems to me that we have been led through ambitious marketing to believe that they are much worse than they actually are.

Most bacteria aren't -- some are neutral in terms of causing damage, and others are necessary components of life. But I think the informal definition of a "germ" is a disease-causing organism... so, one could say that by definition, yes, all germs are bad.

It's confusing since the article I cited seems to be using the two terms interchangably.

Last edited:
Newbie says Hi said:
LOL... it's not so rosy when you consider these days, the theif will probably turn around and sue for medical compensation if he gets sick!:rofl:

Infact, he could claim to be doing you a public service by taking your germ infested money... and you dared to prevent him!

:biggrin: Keeping money in my wallet is rare, I usually use chip and pin these days, actually edit that, keeping money in my wallet is rare full stop :biggrin:

I think if a thief gets infected off my wallet it serves him right, justice is served, crime doesn't pay, especially if he's just stolen my wallet :wink:

I think part of it has to do also with the question of who handles the contents of your wallet (i.e. how often do you trade your money for someone else's germ infested money).

Oh, I'm not one of those people who is paranoid about bacteria in general... just the bad ones that make me sick :)

True :smile: How do you wash your wallet though?

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
True :smile: How do you wash your wallet though?

"wash my wallet" ? Sorry, I don't follow :)

Newbie says Hi said:

"Women have three to four times the number of bacteria in, on and around their desks, phones, computers, keyboards, drawers and personal items as men do."
Well well well...I would never think so.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Most of the germs in a wallet are yours, thus anyone who steals it is taking a highly effective bio-weapon :smile:, I mean who else handles your wallet? People are too paranoid about bacteria these days anyway.

It's not about the wallet, it's about the money in your wallet. The money is handled by thousands of people, isn't it? Unless you're talking about a wallet without money. :biggrin:

As for Charles Gerba, he sounds like a sexist. :devil: :tongue2:

radou said:
It's not about the wallet, it's about the money in your wallet. The money is handled by thousands of people, isn't it? Unless you're talking about a wallet without money. :biggrin:

As for Charles Gerba, he sounds like a sexist. :devil: :tongue2:

OK how do you wash your money then, apart from laundering it :wink: :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
OK how do you wash your money then, apart from laundering it :wink: :smile:

I use my toothbrush. :tongue:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but reading the entire story says the real culprits are food kept in the desk and make-up cases, both of which were more common in women's desks than men's. And then there was one other comment about having more contact with children.

Okay, I have no idea why you'd keep your food in your desk rather than a refrigerator. Don't keep food in your desk and you'll probably eliminate both "germs" and some of that weight you keep gaining.

As for make-up, I rarely wear it, and certainly don't store it in my desk, so no problem there.

And germy children...it seems if men were doing their fair share of parenting, that would equalize. Just hang around the desks of those of us women who don't have children. :biggrin:

Lastly, yes, it's a good question that wasn't addressed in the article...what kind of bacteria? Are we talking infectious diseases here, or ordinary bacteria that will cause no harm? Keep in mind that the study was funded by Clorox, so is unlikely to want to reveal to you that they were all harmless bacteria and you really don't need to spend money disinfecting your desk with bleach.

Moonbear said:
Okay, I have no idea why you'd keep your food in your desk rather than a refrigerator.

Probably because you keep your pens and paper in your refrigerator. :biggrin:

Now what I've love to see would be a comparison of the desks of the germ-phobes (those constantly using hand sanitizer and who won't touch doorknobs for fear of the germs on them) vs normal people. :devil:

Moonbear said:
Now what I've love to see would be a comparison of the desks of the germ-phobes (those constantly using hand sanitizer and who won't touch doorknobs for fear of the germs on them) vs normal people. :devil:

Surprisingly, the germ-phobes desks would probably smell bad because of all that crap on it.

does that mean more fertile?

mathwonk said:
does that mean more fertile?

LOL :rofl:

We may be germier, but its a well known fact that boys have cooties.

Another factor may be that women use lotions, moisturizers, creams, etc that leave residues on telephones, desktops, and anything else they touch. At least some portions of those residues may be good nutrients for some bacteria. Bacteria are ubiquitous and if you feed them, they will thrive. As a process chemist, I was also licensed as a waste-water treatment plant operator at a mill and had to run fecal coliform tests on the sanitary effluent as well as test the industrial waste streams. If your lab technique was not top-notch you could be plagued with false positives. The tests are very sensitive and any little bit of contamination (perhaps from airborne dust particles, flakes of dead skin, etc) would screw them up.

hypatia said:
We may be germier, but its a well known fact that boys have cooties.
I was thinking the reason that women may have germier desks is because of all the guys hanging around, and if the guys would just go back to their desks and actually work, then guys' desks would be germier.

Doesn't this guy have something better to do than poke around women's desks? :rolleyes:

Moonbear made a good point about infections bacteria, e.g. strep or staph, or good bacteria, some of which actually keep strep and staph in check.

Astronuc said:
I was thinking the reason that women may have germier desks is because of all the guys hanging around, and if the guys would just go back to their desks and actually work, then guys' desks would be germier.

:rofl: I was going to suggest it might be all the guys who sit on the women's desks when they're visiting/flirting.

See, it's better to have mounds of papers burying your desk...they protect it from all the germs. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Lastly, yes, it's a good question that wasn't addressed in the article...what kind of bacteria? Are we talking infectious diseases here, or ordinary bacteria that will cause no harm? Keep in mind that the study was funded by Clorox, so is unlikely to want to reveal to you that they were all harmless bacteria and you really don't need to spend money disinfecting your desk with bleach.

Damn Moonbear you beat me to it! We actually talked about this article in my micro class today...and the prof brought up all of those points.

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I was going to suggest it might be all the guys who sit on the women's desks when they're visiting/flirting.
And then there's the drool factor... :rofl:

Newbie says Hi said:

I think the author of that study must be gay!
Or simply hates women...:yuck:
Guy who has ever happen to kiss & lick woman's most intimate parts would have never undertake and publish such kind of a study.:wink:

tehno said:
I think the author of that study must be gay!
Or simply hates women...:yuck:
Guy who has ever happen to kiss & lick woman's most intimate parts would have never undertake and publish such kind of a study.:wink:

Unless he caught chlamydia :smile:

tehno said:

:rofl: There could be something to it. He must be very angry.

Are you guys supporting diluting the truth for pragmatic reasons? That sounds rather odious.

verty said:
Are you guys supporting diluting the truth for pragmatic reasons? That sounds rather odious.

What? :confused:

verty said:
I'm certain that study must be biased and fixed !
:smile:

radou said:
:rofl: There could be something to it. He must be very angry.
Or he never got over his fear of cooties. :rofl:

1. Why are women considered germier than men?

According to the study, women tend to have a higher diversity of bacteria on their skin than men. This could be due to hormonal differences, as well as differences in skin pH and sweat production.

2. Does this mean women are less hygienic than men?

No, the study did not measure hygiene practices. It simply found that women have a higher diversity of bacteria on their skin, which does not necessarily equate to being less hygienic.

3. Are there any health implications of this study?

The study did not find any significant health implications related to the higher diversity of bacteria on women's skin. However, it is important to maintain good hygiene practices regardless of gender to prevent the spread of harmful bacteria.

4. Can men and women transfer bacteria to each other?

Yes, bacteria can be easily transferred between individuals through physical contact, sharing personal items, or being in close proximity. However, this study focused on the diversity of bacteria on the skin, not the transfer of bacteria between individuals.

5. What are the limitations of this study?

The study only looked at a small sample size and focused on the diversity of bacteria on the skin, not the actual amount of bacteria. Additionally, the study did not take into account individual hygiene practices, which can greatly affect the amount and types of bacteria present on the skin.