The party's over: peak oil has distracted us from peak helium

In summary, a global helium shortage is causing some businesses to suffer and some scientists to stretch their supplies.
fourier jr
Swelling helium shortage popping party supplies
Last Updated: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 | 3:04 PM ET
CBC News

A global helium shortage continues to squeeze stock to notably low levels, deflating business for some party planners and forcing some scientists to stretch modest supplies.

Supplies of helium — which is extracted from natural gas — were first reported to have sunk to record low levels in 2006 as refineries in the U.S., Algeria and Russia reported production problems.

The growing use of MRI machines, which use helium to super-cool magnets, in hospitals around the world is also contributing to the demand.

Retailers have steadily absorbed the rising costs of the gas but now some businesses are reporting access has been cut entirely.

"We were told there's no helium, so that's going to change the face of our business, temporarily if not long term," said Leah Garven, who runs a party decorating business in Saskatoon.

"We've been trying to figure out what we can do with air and still satisfy the customer because let's face it, everyone loves a helium balloon."

:tongue2:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/09/26/helium-shortage.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest they start using hydrogen in ballons. :rofl:

Fill the baloons at some political venue, they will rocket skyward.

Well, that does it. Time to ration the helium. No more MRIs, and you silly physicists and your magnets will just have to be put on a waiting list. Party balloons are FAR too important to waste helium on all those other nonessential things. :biggrin:

wolram said:
Fill the baloons at some political venue, they will rocket skyward.
Shortly after helium was first discovered, various political advisors investigated the suitability of helium as a campaign device. The obvious change in voice quality militated against making the switch from hot air. (The squeaky voice is a dead giveaway the politician is full of it.) Hot air rather than helium remains the politicians' stock device to this day.

Last edited:
D H said:
Shortly after helium was first discovered, various political advisors investigated the suitability of helium as a campaign device. The obvious change in voice quality militated against making the switch from hot air, which remains the politicians' stock device to this day.

:rofl:

theCandyman said:

Wasn't there some reason we decided not to do this?? Something with a Hindelbrag...Hindenbog...:confused:

I'm afraid I might have had something to do with this. When I get a helium balloon, I can't resist breathing in the gas to make my voice high-pitched. Sorry for any trouble I may have caused.

We're now paying about double (for liquid helium) what we used to pay a couple years ago. We're also paying about 40% more for our 99.999% purity gas and nearly double for 99.9% purity gas.

There goes the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. :frown:

theCandyman said:

I don't care if the Hindenburg went down because of it! That would cause celebration for pyromaniacs worldwide! INCLUDING ME!

Then we can revert to using flaming arrows for warfare, like in the good old days.

1. What is peak oil and how does it relate to peak helium?

Peak oil is the point at which the maximum rate of global oil production is reached, after which production will gradually decline. Similarly, peak helium is the point at which the maximum rate of global helium production is reached, after which production will also decline. The term "peak helium" is used in the context of the article to emphasize the fact that helium is a finite resource that will eventually run out, just like oil.

2. Why has peak helium been overlooked in discussions about natural resource depletion?

Unlike oil, which is used as a fuel source and is commonly associated with energy production, helium has traditionally been seen as a byproduct of natural gas production. As a result, it has not received as much attention in discussions about natural resource depletion. However, with the increasing demand for helium for a variety of industrial and medical purposes, its scarcity is becoming a more pressing issue.

3. What are some of the major uses of helium and why is it important?

Helium is used in a wide range of industries, including medical imaging, electronics, and aerospace. It is also used to cool the magnets in MRI machines and to pressurize and purge rocket engines. Helium is important because it has unique properties that make it essential for various technological applications. It is also a non-renewable resource, so its scarcity could have significant impacts on these industries.

4. Is there a solution to the impending shortage of helium?

While there is no immediate solution to the impending shortage of helium, there are some steps that can be taken to mitigate its effects. One approach is to recycle and conserve helium by capturing and reusing it in various industrial processes. Another solution is to explore alternative sources of helium, such as extracting it from the atmosphere or from natural gas reserves that were previously thought to be too low in helium content to be economically viable.

5. How can individuals and industries contribute to addressing the issue of peak helium?

Individuals and industries can contribute to addressing the issue of peak helium by being more conscious of their use and wastage of helium. This can include avoiding unnecessary helium use, recycling helium whenever possible, and supporting research and development for alternative sources of helium. Additionally, governments and policymakers can implement regulations and incentives to promote responsible helium usage and conservation.

Back