Design of saline drip package?

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design
In summary: It is said that the volume of each droplet remains the same all the time. But, so what?I always thought that, whatever that part is called, is used to set a constant flow rate. Since most medicines I have seen are based on volume, it makes sense to me. I would imagine it is simply an orifice that sets the flow. I'll join the hunt and see if I can find anything.
hanson
Design of saline drip package??

Hi all.
I am studying the principle of the saline drip package in order to modify it to suit my slow-flow-rate delivery system.
But I can hardly find any explanation of the principles involved.
Do anyone have such links? or could you explain the principles of such a drip package?
What's so special with such a design? Especially the thing encircled.
It is said that the volume of each droplet remains the same all the time. But, so what?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 479
Engineering news on Phys.org
I always thought that, whatever that part is called, is used to set a constant flow rate. Since most medicines I have seen are based on volume, it makes sense to me. I would imagine it is simply an orifice that sets the flow. I'll join the hunt and see if I can find anything.

Well here's what I could find on it. Apparently the typical setup is a gravity feed system.

Infusion equipment
A standard IV infusion set consists of a pre-filled, sterile container (glass bottle, plastic bottle or plastic bag) of fluids with an attached drip chamber which allows the fluid to flow one drop at a time, making it easy to see the flow rate (and also reducing air bubbles); a long sterile tube with a clamp to regulate or stop the flow; a connector to attach to the access device; and connectors to allow "piggybacking" of another infusion set onto the same line, e.g., adding a dose of antibiotics to a continuous fluid drip.

An infusion pump allows precise control over the flow rate and total amount delivered, but in cases where a change in the flow rate would not have serious consequences, or if pumps are not available, the drip is often left to flow simply by placing the bag above the level of the patient and using the clamp to regulate the rate; this is a gravity drip.

A rapid infuser can be used if the patient requires a high flow rate and the IV access device is of a large enough diameter to accommodate it. This is either an inflatable cuff placed around the fluid bag to force the fluid into the patient or a similar electrical device that may also heat the fluid being infused.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous

Hope this helps...

CS

FredGarvin said:
I always thought that, whatever that part is called, is used to set a constant flow rate. Since most medicines I have seen are based on volume, it makes sense to me. I would imagine it is simply an orifice that sets the flow. I'll join the hunt and see if I can find anything.

Thanks. Such a device can produce a constant flow rate as the amount of saline consumes?

stewartcs said:
Well here's what I could find on it. Apparently the typical setup is a gravity feed system.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous

Hope this helps...

CS

Thanks. Let me have a look first.

well the drip package has a controller by which you can adjust the frequency and flow rate of the medicine that has to be administered.

1. What is the purpose of a saline drip package?

The purpose of a saline drip package is to provide a sterile and safe solution for administering fluids and medication to patients through an intravenous (IV) line. Saline solution, which is a mixture of salt and water, is commonly used to replace lost fluids, maintain hydration, and deliver medications directly into the bloodstream.

2. How is the design of a saline drip package determined?

The design of a saline drip package is determined by several factors, including the type of solution being delivered, the flow rate, and the intended use. The package must be designed to maintain sterility and prevent contamination, as well as be easy to use and compatible with the IV equipment being used.

3. What are the key components of a saline drip package?

A typical saline drip package includes a sterile plastic bag or bottle containing the solution, a tubing set with a drip chamber, a flow regulator, and a connector to attach to the IV line. Some packages may also include additional components such as a filter, injection port, or medication port.

4. How is the flow rate of a saline drip package controlled?

The flow rate of a saline drip package is controlled by the flow regulator, which is typically a small plastic clamp or roller device on the tubing set. By adjusting the position of the clamp or roller, the speed at which the solution flows through the tubing can be slowed down or sped up as needed.

5. How is the sterility of a saline drip package maintained?

The sterility of a saline drip package is maintained through a combination of design features and manufacturing processes. The package must be made from sterile materials and sealed in a sterile environment. Additionally, the package is designed to prevent air and other contaminants from entering the system, and the tubing set often includes a filter to remove any microorganisms that may be present in the solution.