What is the Anti-Derivative of a Radical Function?

• Thread starter ggcheck
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the anti-derivative of a function that is under a radical. The way to do this is by using the FTC once I find the anti-D, right? The Attempt at a Solution is that I started messing around with it and the closest I could get was this: (2/3)(49-x^2)^(3/2). Any help would be great.
ggcheck

Homework Statement

integral from 0 to 7 (49-x^2)^(1/2)dx

I just need help getting started; not sure how to find the anti-derivative of a function that is under a radical

the way to do this is by using the FTC once I find the anti-D, right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I started messing around with it and the closest I could get was this:

(2/3)(49-x^2)^(3/2)

any help would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a trig substition like say, x=7sin[itex]\theta[/itex]

sin²+cos²=1 ==> 1-cos²=sin

how did you guys know to do that?

When you see something of the form a-bx², this cries for a x=cos or x=sin substitution. Even more so when a-bx² is under a radical!

Is there any other way to approach this problem? because we weren't taught that technique--we just learned the FTC last week

Well, the function is unbounded on (0,7) [look what happens near 7]... so it's not integrable automatically.

trig substitute? we haven't learned any substitution methods yet... just the ftc...

Maybe you're supposed to notice that this integral gives the area of a quarter-circle of radius 7.

Avodyne said:
Maybe you're supposed to notice that this integral gives the area of a quarter-circle of radius 7.
O_O

wat

quasar987 said:
Well, the function is unbounded on (0,7) [look what happens near 7]... so it's not integrable automatically.

Nevermind that, I thought the function was 1/(...)^1/2

ggcheck said:
O_O

wat

Maybe Avodyne has it.

If you have a function y(x), what does the integral of y(x) from a to b represent? The area under the curve, I'm sure you know. Now what's the equation of a circle of radius 7? x²+y²=7². Isolate y and take the square root and keep the positive sign (this means, keep the part of the curve that is above the x axis), and you get (49-x²)^1/2. Therefor, the integral of (49-x²)^1/2 is the area of a quarter circle of radius 7.

If you don't want to use trig subst. then one way is by expanding
(49-x^2)^(1/2) using the binomial theorem.

I don't know what you mean by FTC.

The physical interpretation of this problem is exactly as said above, it is the area of a quarter-circle of radius 7 i.e. in the first quadrant.

unplebeian said:
If you don't want to use trig subst. then one way is by expanding
(49-x^2)^(1/2) using the binomial theorem.

I don't know what you mean by FTC.

The physical interpretation of this problem is exactly as said above, it is the area of a quarter-circle of radius 7 i.e. in the first quadrant.
binomial theorem?

ftc= fundamental theorem of calculus

ggcheck said:
binomial theorem?

You don't want to know.

since I haven't learned the trig sub. or the binomial theorem, either I recognize that is a half circle or I'm fu(ked?

Pretty much!

What does it mean to "evaluate the integral"?

Evaluating the integral refers to the process of finding the numerical value of a definite integral, which represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It involves finding the antiderivative of the function and plugging in the upper and lower limits of integration.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific upper and lower limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will have a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will have a constant of integration and represent a family of functions.

Why is it important to evaluate integrals?

Integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They allow us to find the area under a curve, calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration, and solve many real-world problems. Evaluating integrals is crucial in order to use them effectively in these applications.

What are some common techniques for evaluating integrals?

There are several techniques for evaluating integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand in order to make it easier to integrate or to transform it into a known form.

Are there any tools or software that can help with evaluating integrals?

Yes, there are many tools and software that can assist with evaluating integrals, such as online integral calculators, computer algebra systems like Mathematica or Maple, and graphing calculators. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind evaluating integrals in order to effectively use these tools.