Sun's gravitational pull problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the distance a space probe must be from Pluto along a line toward the Sun so that the gravitational pull of the Sun balances Pluto's pull. The equation used for this calculation is F = G M m / r^2, where Msun is the mass of the Sun and Mpluto is the mass of Pluto. After simplifying the equation, the ratio of the distances between the Sun and Pluto can be determined to find the correct position for the space probe.
jperk980
How far from Pluto must a space probe be along a line toward the Sun so that the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances Pluto's pull?

I know that Fs=Fsp and that when i elminate terms i get ((Rsp-x)/x)^2=(Ms/Mp) i uncderstand the mass of pluto to be 1.3e22 kg and the mass of the sun to be 1.99e30 kg and the radius to be 5.91e15 m. I get 4.8e8 to be my answer in km. That is not correct however. Can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of gravity is F = G M m / r^2
So simply set Msun / dsun^2 = Mpluto / dpluto^2, Cancelling G and the mass of you.
Then you can work out a ratio between dsun and dpluto. You know dsun / dpluto so you can work out the position.

Based on the given information, I believe your calculation is incorrect. The distance at which the Sun's gravitational pull on the probe balances Pluto's pull is known as the "Roche limit" and can be calculated using the formula R = 2.44 * (Rp*(Mp/Ms)^(1/3)), where R is the distance from Pluto, Rp is Pluto's radius, Mp is Pluto's mass, and Ms is the Sun's mass.

Using the values given, the Roche limit for Pluto is approximately 17,000 km. This means that the space probe would need to be at least 17,000 km away from Pluto along a line towards the Sun in order for the two gravitational pulls to balance each other out. This distance may vary slightly depending on the exact masses and radii used in the calculation.

I hope this helps clarify the concept and calculation for you. If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking assistance from a teacher or fellow scientist.

1. What is the Sun's gravitational pull problem?

The Sun's gravitational pull problem refers to the difficulty in understanding the exact mechanism by which the Sun's massive size and gravitational force affect the movement of other objects in the solar system.

2. How does the Sun's gravitational pull affect the orbits of planets?

The Sun's gravitational pull is the dominant force that keeps the planets in their orbits around it. The strength of this pull decreases with distance, so planets closer to the Sun have shorter orbits and move at faster speeds, while those farther away have longer orbits and move at slower speeds.

3. Is the Sun's gravitational pull the same for all objects in the solar system?

No, the strength of the Sun's gravitational pull varies depending on the mass and distance of an object from the Sun. For example, the Sun's pull on a small asteroid will be much weaker than its pull on a large planet like Jupiter.

4. How does the Sun's gravitational pull compare to other celestial bodies?

The Sun has the largest gravitational pull in the solar system, due to its massive size and high density. However, its pull is still relatively weak compared to other massive objects in the universe, such as black holes and other galaxies.

5. What is the role of the Sun's gravitational pull in the formation of the solar system?

The Sun's gravitational pull played a crucial role in the formation of the solar system. It pulled in gas and dust from the surrounding space, causing it to collapse and form the protoplanetary disk that eventually gave rise to the planets, moons, and other objects in the solar system.