Kinetic and poetenial energy of a roller coaster loop

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an object traveling down an incline and through a loop. The goal is to calculate the normal force as a function of the angle of incline. The equations involved include U=mgh and k=1/2mv^2. The person is struggling with putting the information into an equation and is wondering if they should use one equation or three separate ones. They also mention that the equation looks similar to the sine function. They ask for help in determining the forces acting on the body at different points in the loop.
Cate

Homework Statement

O.k, i'll do my best to explain the problem as I but a picture would probabley be helpful. Basically there's an object of mass m travlleing down an incline. Near the end of the incline it does a loop. The question asks to calculate the normal force(Fn) as a function of ө for 0 ≤ ө ≤ 180 (assume cart is from height h) hint: your answer will depend on m, g, h, r and ө. Check that equation has proper behavior ө= 0 degrees, 90 degrees and 180 degrees.

Homework Equations

U= mgh

k=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand what's going on it's just putting it into an equation that I find difficult. I am assuming that ө equals zero at the appex before the ascent into the loop. Also, kinetic energy increase as ө increase i think. I'm just no sure if I should do three separate equations or one if just one then how can it represent all three angles? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
After looking at this problem some more I see that the equation kind of looks like the sine function am I on to something?

Please could someone help me?

When the body reaches the appex of the loop ita velocity will be v = sqrt(2gh). What are the forces acting on the body at this point and what are there direction? As the body moves along the loop, what are the directions of these forces?

What is kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object. Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It is dependent on the height and mass of the object.

How do kinetic and potential energy work together in a roller coaster loop?

In a roller coaster loop, kinetic energy is converted into potential energy as the coaster car reaches the top of the loop. As the car descends, potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy. This allows the car to maintain its speed throughout the loop.

What factors affect the kinetic and potential energy of a roller coaster loop?

The factors that affect the kinetic and potential energy of a roller coaster loop include the mass of the car, the height of the loop, and the speed at which the car enters the loop.

How does the shape of the roller coaster loop impact its kinetic and potential energy?

The shape of the loop impacts the kinetic and potential energy by determining the amount and rate of energy conversion. A circular loop allows for a smooth and continuous conversion of energy, while a non-circular loop may result in sudden changes in energy levels.

Can the kinetic and potential energy of a roller coaster loop be calculated?

Yes, the kinetic and potential energy of a roller coaster loop can be calculated using the equations: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 and PE = m * g * h, where m is the mass of the car, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the loop.