Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and A Boy and His Dog: Cult Classics

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry is a dated cult classic that does not hold up well 23 years later.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just watched an old cult classic: Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry. STUPID!

It is funny how different a movie seems when viewed 23 year later! It didn't seem that bad when it came out...and back then Mary was hot! :rolleyes:

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is a cult 1974 car chase film staring Peter Fonda, Susan George, Adam Roarke, and Vic Morrow. The film was directed by John Hough. The music score contains no incidental music, apart from the theme song over the opening and closing titles, and a small amount of music heard over the radio. The story deals with two would-be NASCAR hopefuls; the driver, Larry (Peter Fonda), and his mechanic, Deke (Adam Roarke), who successfully execute a supermarket heist to finance their jump into the big-time auto racing world, extorting $150,000 in cash from the supermarket manager (Roddy McDowall in an uncredited role) by holding his wife and daughter hostage.

In making their escape, they are confronted by Larry's one-night stand, Mary (Susan George), who convinces them to take her along for the ride (under the threat of her blowing the whistle on them both). After the heist is reported to the Sheriff, Captain Franklin (Vic Morrow) obsessively sets out to capture the trio in a dragnet, only to find his patrol cars woefully inadequate to catch Larry, Mary and Deke in a high-performance 1969 Dodge Charger.

The trio evades several patrol cars, a high-performance police interceptor, and even Captain Franklin himself in a Bell JetRanger helicopter...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Mary,_Crazy_Larry

Another one that comes to mind is "A Boy and His Dog". I think this was Don Johnson's first major role and it was BORING! Couldn't finish it.

This is a post-apocalyptic tale in which the Earth's surface is devastated by nuclear war, and the few survivors who stayed above ground must forage and fight for food, ammo, and women. Of these necessities, women are the rarest finds; as explained in the movie, most survivors are male because while the males were off fighting the war, their leaders bombed their enemies' cities and destroyed their homes.

The main character, Vic, played by Don Johnson in a notable early role, is an 18-year-old boy focused on stealing food and fulfilling his sexual needs. He is accompanied by a well-read and wise-cracking telepathic dog named Blood, an "experienced female provider." Blood was voiced by Tim McIntire. [continued]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_and_His_Dog

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to watch Shane in one of my classics. One of those feel-good westerns. It was just painful.

Why do people start stupid threads like these that remember things that are bad/negative/etc? makes on sense to me

It's not stupid, it brings up a very valid subject. Bad movies. Bad tv shows. Reality is that not everything is good and criticism is necessary not to mention healthy. Pretending that everything is good is not good.

Last edited:
Im not saying that you should pretend that what is bad is good. Its just dumb IMO to remember these things, especially since it doesn't improve anything, they're over and done with. Try remembering things like Valdez or Chernobyl, then people can discuss improvements.

Citing bad movies can make improvements. :smile: Remebering past mistakes is what helps us to avoid making them again.

Not everything has to save the world, sometimes it's just an interesting discussion. If I wasn't so tired, I'd add to the list.

But the fact that they are "Old" movies means that likely those involved in making them are dead or retired. BTW, hows your arm?

Evo said:
It's not stupid, it brings up a very valid subject. Bad movies. Bad tv shows. Reality is that not everything is good and criticism is necessary not to mention healthy. Pretending that everything is good is not good.

It is definitely not stupid. It is a good example of how people change and how times change. Gees, I remember when the Beverly Hillbillies was a hit prime time television show.

Some things do stand the test of time, The original Star Trek TV series (circa 1966) still has a big following.

Here is a good site of bad movies with ratings, quotes and sound/video clips.
http://www.badmovies.org/

I liked "A Boy and His Dog" but I have not seen it in quite a long time.
I will have to watch it again and see if my tastes has changed.

binzing said:
Why do people start stupid threads like these that remember things that are bad/negative/etc? makes on sense to me
Nostalgifying together brings us closer as a community?

I guess, but you could "nostalgify" on the good times.

binzing said:

Now you're just arguing. Let's just close this thread.

Look whos talking! And it was a legit question.

And some things are so bad they're good! (Ed Wood movies, for example).

Ivan, I think I saw Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry at the drive-in. That was back in my feetie pajama days.

Feetie pjs rock! But they're not at all fast to get out of in case of a fire (i.e. bathroom needs)

This has to be one of the greatest bad movies of all time:

Incubus, with William Shatner - in Esperanto

The story is about a succubus named Kia (Allyson Ames) who falls in love with a deeply religious soldier named Marc (Shatner), whom she intends to seduce. Outraged by this, her sister Amael (Eloise Hardt) summons their leader, a devilish incubus (Milos), who attempts to kill Marc and rapes the soldier's sister Arndis (Atmar)...[continued]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_(1965_film [Broken])

I'm not quite sure, but I think a goat rapes a woman at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" and "A Boy and His Dog" considered cult classics?

Both "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" and "A Boy and His Dog" gained a dedicated following of fans who appreciated their unique storylines, characters, and themes. These films were not initially commercially successful, but over time, they developed a cult following and became popular among certain subcultures.

2. Who directed "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" and "A Boy and His Dog"?

"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" was directed by John Hough, and "A Boy and His Dog" was directed by L.Q. Jones. Both directors were known for their work in the science fiction and horror genres, which contributed to the cult status of these films.

3. What is the plot of "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry"?

"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" follows two lovers, Larry and Mary, who plan a daring robbery to fund their dream of owning a racing car. However, their plans go awry when they are pursued by a determined police officer and a ruthless mob boss.

4. What is the plot of "A Boy and His Dog"?

"A Boy and His Dog" is set in a post-apocalyptic world and follows a teenage boy named Vic and his telepathic dog, Blood. They form a symbiotic relationship as they scavenge for food and women in the wasteland. However, their bond is tested when they encounter a mysterious underground society.

5. Are there any notable actors in "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" and "A Boy and His Dog"?

"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" stars Peter Fonda, Susan George, and Adam Roarke. "A Boy and His Dog" stars Don Johnson, Susanne Benton, and Jason Robards. Although these films were not commercially successful, they featured talented actors who went on to have successful careers in the film industry.

Back