How to capture live video/image using Matlab without Image acq toolbox

In summary, the conversation discussed different methods for capturing images from a USB camera directly into Matlab, including using Graphedit software and using C in Matlab with standard libraries. Another suggestion was to use the VCAPG2 or its Simulink extension from a specific author on Matlab Central. The author also provided a link to another popular method on the exchange. Ultimately, the author was able to figure out a solution using the suggested VCAPG2 method.
rsr_life
Hi!

Does anybody know how i can capture images from my USB camera directly into Matlab? I'd appreciate suggestions for indirect methods too. I don't have the advantage of the Image Acquisition Toolbox in Matlab, making my task slightly more difficult.

Suggestions that I've had include using the Graphedit software to capture and save the images and use Matlab to read images. This is going to be offline though.

Another suggestion is to use C in Matlab and use standard libraries to read the image data through that - this could include processing the images too.

Is there any other method I could use since it seems like a standard task to do?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadAuthor.do?objectType=author&objectId=1093610" [Broken]

Ok... got it myself.

For future reference, follow the above link and click on any of the author's contributions - VCAPG2 or its extension for Simulink. Very simple, runs directly without any mess.

For starters, use the last sample code he suggests - to get a bunch of frames for real-time viewing.

Another popular one on the Matlab central exchange is:
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=247"

Couldn't get it to work just as easily though.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
for your question! There are a few different methods you could use to capture live video or images using Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox. One option is to use the Video Input/Output (VIO) library, which allows you to access video devices and capture frames from them. This library is included in the standard Matlab installation, so you should be able to use it without any additional software. However, it may require some additional programming to set up and capture the video data.

Another option is to use the built-in webcam support in Matlab. You can use the webcam function to connect to a webcam and capture images or video frames. This function is available in Matlab R2014b and later versions.

If you are comfortable with using C in Matlab, you could also try using the mexopencv library, which provides an interface between Matlab and the OpenCV library. This library has functions for capturing video frames from a webcam or other video device.

Overall, there are several options available for capturing live video or images in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox. I suggest exploring each of these options and determining which one best fits your needs and skill level. Good luck with your project!

1. How can I capture live video or image using Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox?

To capture live video or image using Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox, you can use the videoinput function. This function allows you to access and control your camera's settings, and capture frames from the camera. You can then use the getsnapshot function to capture a single frame, or the start and stop functions to capture multiple frames continuously.

2. Can I use a webcam to capture live video or image in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox?

Yes, you can use a webcam to capture live video or image in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox. The videoinput function supports webcams as well as other types of cameras. Before using your webcam, make sure it is connected to your computer and recognized by Matlab by using the imaqhwinfo function.

3. How can I save the captured video or image in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox?

You can use the imwrite function to save the captured video or image in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox. This function allows you to specify the format and file name for the saved image or video. For example, you can use imwrite(image, 'myimage.jpg') to save the captured image as a JPEG file named "myimage.jpg".

4. Is it possible to adjust the camera settings when capturing live video or image in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox?

Yes, it is possible to adjust the camera settings when capturing live video or image in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox. The videoinput function allows you to access and modify the camera's settings, such as brightness, contrast, and resolution. You can use the set function to change these settings before capturing frames.

5. Can I display the live video or image while capturing it in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox?

Yes, you can display the live video or image while capturing it in Matlab without the Image Acquisition Toolbox. After using the videoinput function to access your camera and the start function to begin capturing frames, you can use the preview function to display the live video or image in a figure window. This allows you to see the captured frames in real-time.