Calculating Total Energy Loss of a Newton's Cradle

In summary, To measure the total energy loss of a Newton's cradle until it comes to rest, you can start by calculating the maximum vertical displacement of the ball and then use this to determine the maximum gravitational potential energy. When the system comes to rest, it will have no kinetic energy and will be at its minimum gravitational potential energy. The difference between these two values will give you the total energy loss. Additionally, the only energy that was added to the system was the work done on the first ball to give it potential, and the system does not gain any mechanical energy once the first ball is released.
faunmia
How can I measure the total energy loss of a Newton's cradle until it comes to rest. The only variables I am given are the horiztonal displacements for each swing (how far the ball travels out after it rebounds off the other balls) and the angle. I have no idea where to start, I was told I should be able to work out velocity from the displacements and gravity(9.8m/s). The equations I have are
KE = mv²/2
p = mv
I am not asking for anyone to do this for me, but rather a starting point which I can work from

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the maximum vertical displacement of the ball, from that you can calculate the maximum gravitational potential energy, when it's kinetic energy is zero.

When the system comes to rest, it will have no kinetic energy and it will be at it's minimum gravitational potential energy.

The difference between the two therefore, is the value you calculate for GPE.

Adding to lavalamp, the only energy that was added was the work you did on the first ball to give it potential. The system certainly is not gaining any mechanical energy once you release the first ball.

1. How does Newton's Cradle work?

Newton's Cradle is a device that demonstrates the conservation of momentum and energy. When one ball on the end is lifted and released, it swings back and hits the other balls, causing them to swing and transfer energy. However, the total amount of energy remains the same.

2. What is the formula for calculating the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle?

The formula for calculating the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle is: Energy Loss = Initial Kinetic Energy - Final Kinetic Energy. This means that the energy loss is equal to the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the first ball and the final kinetic energy of the last ball.

3. How does the mass of the balls affect the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle?

The mass of the balls does not affect the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle. This is because the conservation of energy and momentum applies regardless of the mass of the balls. As long as the balls are of equal mass, the total energy loss will be the same.

4. Is the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle always zero?

In theory, the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle should be zero due to the conservation of energy and momentum. However, in reality, there is always some energy loss due to friction and air resistance. Therefore, the total energy loss may not be exactly zero, but it will be very close.

5. Why is it important to calculate the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle?

Calculating the total energy loss in a Newton's Cradle allows us to understand and demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy and momentum. It also helps us to identify any sources of energy loss, such as friction, and how it can affect the overall system. This understanding can be applied to other systems and help us to improve their efficiency.