Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a): Local Minima Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about finding the Taylor polynomial of degree 2 for a function and using it to determine if the function has a local minimum at a specific point. The person in the conversation has used partial derivatives and determined that the function does not have a minimum at that point. They are asking for confirmation on their method.
electricman
Hi,

I want to confirm this:

a=8 , b=5 , c=7

Decide the Taylor polynomial of degree 2 in the point (0, a) to the function f (x, y)=sqrt(1+bx+cy). Decide with the aid of Taylor polynomial if the function has a local minimum in (0, a).

I used the partial derivates:

df/dx = 5/(2*sqrt(1+5x+7y)) = 5/sqrt(57)
df/dy = 7/(2*sqrt(1+5x+7y)) = 7/sqrt(57)
and so on with the rest of the derivates

And with the all derivates in the taylor polynomial i will get a value different then 0 and that mean that it haven't got a minimum.

Is this the correct way to slove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
electricman said:
Hi,

I want to confirm this:

a=8 , b=5 , c=7

Decide the Taylor polynomial of degree 2 in the point (0, a) to the function f (x, y)=sqrt(1+bx+cy). Decide with the aid of Taylor polynomial if the function has a local minimum in (0, a).

I used the partial derivates:

df/dx = 5/(2*sqrt(1+5x+7y)) = 5/sqrt(57)
df/dy = 7/(2*sqrt(1+5x+7y)) = 7/sqrt(57)
and so on with the rest of the derivates
Well, these should be 5/{2sqrt(57)} and 7/{2sqrt(57)}.

And with the all derivates in the taylor polynomial i will get a value different then 0 and that mean that it haven't got a minimum.

Is this the correct way to slove this?

I think you should show some more work-- I can't tell what you've done if I can't see it!

What is a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a)?

A Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a) is a mathematical function that approximates a given function around the point x=0 with a degree 2 polynomial. It is used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by using the function's derivatives at that point.

How is a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a) calculated?

To calculate a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a), one must first find the first and second derivatives of the given function at x=0. These derivatives are then used in the formula for a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 to create the polynomial approximation.

What is the purpose of using a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a)?

The purpose of using a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a) is to approximate a given function and its derivatives at a specific point. This can be useful in situations where the exact value of a function is difficult to calculate, or when only a limited amount of information about the function is known.

What is the difference between a local minimum and a global minimum?

A local minimum is a point on a graph where the function has the smallest value in a specific interval, while a global minimum is the smallest value of the function over its entire domain. In other words, a local minimum is only the smallest value within a certain range, while a global minimum is the smallest value in the entire function.

How is the local minimum of a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a) determined?

The local minimum of a Taylor Polynomial of Degree 2 in (0,a) can be determined by finding the critical points of the polynomial and then evaluating the second derivative at those points. If the second derivative is positive, then the critical point is a local minimum.