Efficient Water Collection with Condensation Harnessing: Tips and Ideas

• Thread starter nickindustrial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Condensation
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of designing a system that uses minimal energy to collect condensation and produce potable water for homes. The concept of 'inverse-tenting' and 'cloud catchers' were mentioned as potential methods for achieving this goal. The idea of using plants to collect water vapour was also suggested.
nickindustrial
Do any of you know of successful processes that encourage condensation, and then collect the water droplets that are produced?

I am trying to design a system that uses minimal if any energy to run that would provide a potable source of water for the home. I am aware of the condensation produced through refrigeration processes and dehumidifying systems but I have not come across much else.

There is an existing concept that uses a similar process to what I am intending on doing, waterunlimited, by Max Whisson, but if you guys have any thoughts it would be great

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd look into 'inverse-tenting' a plastic sheet over a bunch of plants. They 'breathe' out water vapour.

Wasn't that called a 'cloud catcher' or fog catcher or something like that? I saw something like that ones as a tool for developing countries.
It looked like a large net that came out in buckets or something like that.

1. How does condensation occur?

Condensation occurs when water vapor in the air cools and turns into liquid droplets. This can happen when warm, moist air comes into contact with a colder surface, causing the water vapor to lose energy and condense into liquid form.

2. What is the purpose of harnessing condensation?

The purpose of harnessing condensation is to collect and utilize the water droplets for various purposes, such as drinking water or irrigation. This can be especially useful in areas with limited access to clean water sources.

3. What are some common methods of harnessing condensation?

Some common methods of harnessing condensation include using a condenser or collector, such as a solar still or a dew collector, and using materials with hydrophilic properties to attract and collect water droplets, such as mesh or special coatings.

4. What are the benefits of harnessing condensation?

Harnessing condensation can provide a sustainable source of clean water, reduce the strain on traditional water sources, and help mitigate the effects of drought and water scarcity. It can also be a cost-effective and environmentally-friendly solution for water supply.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in harnessing condensation?

Some limitations or challenges in harnessing condensation include the amount of water that can be collected, which can be affected by factors such as temperature and humidity, and the initial investment and maintenance costs of the equipment. Additionally, the collected water may need to be treated before it is safe for consumption.