Convergent Subsequences and the Limit of a Series

In summary, we are discussing the definition of the limit of a sequence and its relationship to the convergence of subsequences. The definition states that if \lim {x_{n}} = a, then every convergent subsequence of x_{n} must also converge to a. We are trying to show the other direction, that if every convergent subsequence of x_{n} converges to a, then \lim {x_{n}} = a. The key is to consider every non-trivial (convergent) subsequence of x_{n}. This means that the subsequence is not equal to the original sequence and may have a different limit.
Doom of Doom

Homework Statement

Consider the sequence [tex]\left\{ x_{n} \right\}[/tex].

Then [tex] x_{n}[/tex] is convergent and [tex]\lim x_{n}=a[/tex] if and only if, for every non-trivial convergent subsequence, [tex]x_{n_{i}}[/tex], of [tex]x_{n}[/tex], [tex]\lim x_{n_{i}}=a[/tex].

Homework Equations

The definition of the limit of a series:
[tex]\lim {x_{n}} = a \Leftrightarrow [/tex] for every [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists [tex] N \in \mathbb{N}[/tex] such that for every [tex]n>N[/tex], [tex]\left| x_{n} - a \right| < \epsilon[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I easily see how to show that it [tex]\lim {x_{n}} = a [/tex], then every convergent subsequence must also converge to [tex]a[/tex].
But I'm stuck on how to show the other way.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say, well isn't a_n a subsequence of itself? But you also said 'non-trivial'. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but can't you split a_n into two 'non-trivial' subsequences, which then converge, but when put together make all of a_n?

Yeah, I asked my prof about this one. To him, apparently "non-trivial" just means that the subsequence is not equal to the original sequence. I don't think it actually has any bearing on the problem.

The trick, he said, is that you have to consider every non-trivial (convergent) subsequence.

I'm not sure I know what that means.

Ok, then suppose a_n has two convergent subsequences with different limits. Then does a_n have a limit?

What is subsequence converging?

Subsequence converging is a mathematical concept where a sequence of numbers or values approaches a specific limit or value as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

How is subsequence converging different from sequence converging?

Subsequence converging focuses on a subset of a larger sequence, while sequence converging considers the entire sequence as a whole.

What is the importance of subsequence converging in mathematics?

Subsequence converging is important in understanding the behavior of infinite sequences and their limits. It is also useful in various mathematical proofs and applications.

Can a subsequence converge to a different limit than the original sequence?

Yes, a subsequence can converge to a different limit than the original sequence. This can happen if the subsequence is chosen in a specific way, such as selecting every other term in the original sequence.

How is subsequence converging used in real-world applications?

Subsequence converging has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It is used in predicting and modeling complex systems and in analyzing data sets with infinite or large numbers of data points.