PF Males' Top Guy Movies: Debating Men's Journal List

In summary, the Men's Journal's top 50 guy movies of all time are The Great Escape, Dirty Harry, Godfather, Caddyshack, The Seven Samarai, Three Stooges, The Great Escape, Dirty Dozen, The Right Stuff, and Rocky. My son is getting married this weekend and my house happens to be full of women right now. Too much chick talk! The conversation switched to movies, and one of the women mentioned the Great Escape. My response: "Best guy movie ever!" (So it dates me). A second later, Magnificent Seven came up (the movies have actors in common). "Second best guy movie of all time!". So, my top two.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
My son is getting married this weekend and my house happens to be full of women right now. Too much chick talk! The conversation switched to movies, and one of the women mentioned the Great Escape. My response: "Best guy movie ever!" (So it dates me). A second later, Magnificent Seven came up (the movies have actors in common). "Second best guy movie of all time!". So, my top two.

The Men's Journal came out with a list of top 50 guy movies of all time: http://www.mensjournal.com/feature/0312/guymovies.html" . Their choices:

1&2 Dirty Harry and Godfather. OK, not my top choices, but right up there.

9. Caddyshack. This is not top fifty material, let alone top ten.

26. The Seven Samarai. Any movie where one has to read subtitles is not a guy movie.

40. The Great Escape. My number one. Number 40?

41. Three Stooges. I introduced by three sons to the Three Stooges by calling them into the living room to watch some educational TV. I love the Stooges, but they are not one notch below The Great Escape.

So I beg to differ with the Men's Journal. What guy movies do you PF males like?

PS. The PF sisterhood has zero votes in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Die Hard
Alien/Aliens
Terminator 1&2
Slapshot
Predator
Commando
Rambo
Saving Private Ryan
Equilibrium
Hard Boiled
Bloodsport
The Kickboxer

gravenewworld said:
Die Hard
Alien/Aliens
Terminator 1&2
Slapshot
Predator
Commando
Rambo
Saving Private Ryan
I like all of your top 10. Bruce Willis is the modern McQueen. Schwarzenegger, no comparison. The star of Alien/Aliens is a chick, but a dang tough chick.

Hey! Help me out here! I am the only male in a house full of women! I will soon start wearing pink shirts and getting my nails done if you guys don't help me out.

The Great Escape ranks up there.

Then there is the Dirty Dozen.

How about The Right Stuff (1983).

I liked Le Mans (1971) with Steve McQueen (and pretty much anything with Steve McQueen). I have a thing for the Porsche 917 :!)

Do you want action/war, westerns, comedy, science fiction, . . . ?

Battle of the Bulge.

Henry Fonda's movies, e.g. Mister Roberts (1955) with Jack Lemmon.

Contemporary - Gladiator.

Martial arts - Ong-bak (2003) staring Tony Jaa

Sci Fi - 2001 Space Odyssey, or more recently Serenity (2005)

Last edited:
From the otherside of the pond;
Italian job (original !)
Long Good Friday
Lock Stock and 2 smoking barrels
BladeRunner

And of course any of the Adventures of Henry Jones Jnr.

D H said:
I like all of your top 10. Bruce Willis is the modern McQueen. Schwarzenegger, no comparison. The star of Alien/Aliens is a chick, but a dang tough chick.
Tough chicks are good! :approve:

Astronuc said:
Do you want action/war, westerns, comedy, science fiction, . . . ?

Any movie that is not about relationships will do at this point.

Oh, and something where suspending my disbelief is not a big problem. I could never get past the premise of The Matrix.

mgb_phys said:
BladeRunner
Philip K. Dick wrote some incredible stories. He specialized in short stories and novellas with more than a semblance of a plot and character development. His works, print or adapted to film, are right up there. Through in Harrison Ford or Schwarzenegger and you have a real winner in the guy movie category.

The Big Lebowski is good.

"Saving Private Ryan" is a great guy movie. After every time a watch it, I play "company of heros".

Bloodsport
Rocky
Top Gun
Hambuger Hill

Thanks for the support. I have to go now; thanks to you all my pink shirt can stay safely in the back of the closet.

Sniper
Lock Up
True lies

Charley Wilsons War is a good movie
Blood Diamonds is good too.
City of god is good, but sub-titled.

Last edited:
Cinnamon Stick Swoon, Vanilla Verve, Rose Hip Shimmy, Lavender Love-Sniff...

What? Huh? Oh sorry - I wandered into the wrong thread! How embarassing! I thought this was the "Favorite Candle Scents of the PF Sisterhood" thread!

So sorry! I'll find my way out...

:rofl: :tongue2:

PS - DH, congrats on your son's wedding!

Last edited:
The Departed is a good modern classic.

lisab said:
What? Huh? Oh sorry - I wandered into the wrong thread! How embarassing! I thought this was the "Favorite Candle Scents of the PF Sisterhood" thread!
What? Oh. A comedienne in our midst.

So sorry! I'll find my way out...
The door is just to your left. Watch your step; it leads to the volcano.

PS - DH, congrats on your son's wedding!
Thanks much!

Ones not mentioned yet...

Reservoir Dogs

Oceans Eleven

Things to do in Denver When You're Dead

Fight Club

300 (not exactly a personal favourite but I think it's a quintessential guy flick)

... and I'm tapped. I'll come back if I can think of more.

Apocalypse Now.

300 certainly had it's share/abundance of blood and gore.

V for Vendetta is an interesting movie.

Bullitt
Unforgiven
Full Metal Jacket
Narc

D H said:
26. The Seven Samarai. Any movie where one has to read subtitles is not a guy movie.

Any movie that provides the basis for the story in The Magnificent Seven is most definitely a guy movie, subtitles or no subtitles.

I wish I could have watched one of those tonight instead of having dinner with seven women. I was the lone male. For those of you young guys who have dreams of such events, let me tell you, the reality is far different from your dreams. Think instead of going out with your sisters, a cousin, one of their married friends, your mom, and an aunt or two. If you dream of doing this I suggest we banish you from the PF Brotherhood.

Astronuc said:
300 certainly had it's share/abundance of blood and gore.
It also emphasized esprit de corps and the will and ability to fight against all odds for ones freedom. It reminded me of Dumas' Musketeers stories, though sadly not as good. :-/

The Three Musketeers was pretty good. I've only seen the newer one which emphasized the romantic interests a bit too much. I've heard the older one was much better though I've yet to see it.

The Man in the Iron Mask was not nearly as good as the book. They subtracted the whole second half.

The Count of Monte Cristo also did not seem as good as I remember the book being.

Sad sad... those stories (especially Twenty Years After) would probably make some of the best "guy movies" ever.

Oh yeah how could I forget?

HeatIt contains the greatest shootout scene of all time.

Most of the replies I agree with though some are *cough* "under suspicion" for not meeting the guy flick criteria, but nonetheless, my contribution:

Any Tarantino movie basically

Any Bruce Lee movie (except the biography about him- it was lamer than the joy luck club)

In the vein of Full metal Jacket, Saving private ryan, Hamburger hill, Platoon, etc

Escape from New York...

Scarface

Blade

Rambo

Indiana Jones

Very Bad Things

No country for old men

Death Wish

Clerks

The Matrix

Fight club (mentioned but worth mentioning again)

Unforgiven (clint eastwood)

Not exactly essential guy films, but the marx brothers movies are absolutely hilarious. Kinda like the three stooges but more intellectual.

City of God is a definite for sure.

Fifth Element
Twelve Monkeys (which just supports general opinion that every Bruce Willis movie fits)
Sting
Taxi Driver

(plus many of those already listed)

And let's not forget about older things like Rio Bravo or even Stagecoach.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Usual Suspects. That movie has my favorite ending of all time. Also, anything with Daniel Day Lewis should be considered a guy movie (e.g. There Will Be Blood, Gangs of New York, Last of the Mohicans).

Last edited:
Michael Clayton is a pretty good movie, as are all of the Bourne series.

The Bourne trilogy is good.

the last one especially

Since westerns seem to be a bit underrepresented:
Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Magnificent Seven (US Version of 'The Seven Samurai')
Fistful of Dollars (US Version of 'Yojimbo')
Once Upon a Time in the West

Rocky
The Professional
The Terminator
Braveheart
Paths of Glory
The Road Warrior
Scarface