Life in Universe, statistical point of view

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of life in the universe beyond Earth. With the vast number of stars and planets in the universe, it is not surprising to find some form of life. The Drake equation is used as an example to support both sides of the argument. While some believe in the existence of advanced life forms, others believe we may be the only ones. However, most experts believe in the possibility of life beyond Earth, as evidenced by the large amount of resources dedicated to finding it. The discussion also touches on the idea of humans being unique in the universe and the likelihood of other elements supporting life. Overall, the conversation shows a diversity of opinions, but remains open-minded to the idea of extraterrestrial life.
frankdrouin
Hi,

I was having a discussion with a friend about the probability of life in the universe outside of earth.

From what i know, there are 70 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 stars and god knows how many planets. Given the low probability of life spawning on a single planet but the huge amounts of planets that add up my opinion is that not the biggest surprise in the universe would be not to find life.

By life we can think of basic life and intelligent life. Is it the generally accepted theory in accordance with my point of view or am i missing an important fact somewhere along the road?

Space news on Phys.org
A nice example here is the Drake equation. It shows how a simple argument can be used to support both claims (we are alone, and there are many other planets with life). In the link I gave you, you will find two reasonable sounding sets of parameters leading to completely different results, at the very bottom of the "Historical estimates of the parameters" section.

CompuChip said:
A nice example here is the Drake equation. It shows how a simple argument can be used to support both claims (we are alone, and there are many other planets with life). In the link I gave you, you will find two reasonable sounding sets of parameters leading to completely different results, at the very bottom of the "Historical estimates of the parameters" section.

Tank you very much. The drake equation seems to be focusing on the chances that we find an advanced enough form of life that is able to communicate.

I think it is the most difficult and for sure the greatest achivement that could happen in mankind history.

But beyond that, my view was that is it safe to assume that some kind of life, from simple forms to highly advanced forms, exist in the universe. Is that a view shared by most experts on that question?

frankdrouin said:
But beyond that, my view was that is it safe to assume that some kind of life, from simple forms to highly advanced forms, exist in the universe. Is that a view shared by most experts on that question?

We spend many billions of dollars to find life elsewhere than Earth, so I think it is safe to assume that is the presumption "shared by most experts"...that it is out there and we expect to find it eventually.

most people would like to think they are very special in the universe, so they would say NO

we certainly are not the first in creation, so why would there not be others?

Though this is slightly off-topic I find it interesting that the four most commonly used elements found in living things are also four of the most common reactive elements in the Universe.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHON"

So I think there is definitely life out there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that i sthe veiw "shared by most experts", but I think (and hope) that most of the scientific community is keeping an open mind and willing to except what the evidence says, rather than looking for the result they want. I myself am completely open on this one; I could believe the results either way.

Many of the variables involved (the variables in the Drake Equation) are completely unknown. As far as I'm concerned the issue is 50/50; the answer is either "yes" or "no."

frankdrouin said:
...From what i know, there are 70 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 stars and god knows how many planets...QUOTE]

Another way to look at it. If there is only life here, the odds are 1/70 000 000 000 000 000 000 000.

What is the statistical likelihood of life existing in the universe?

Based on current understanding and observations, it is estimated that there are around 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe, each containing billions of stars. With such a vast number of potential planets and moons, it is highly probable that there is at least some form of life elsewhere in the universe.

How is the Drake equation used to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations?

The Drake equation is a mathematical formula used to estimate the number of intelligent and communicative civilizations in our galaxy. It takes into account factors such as the number of habitable planets, the likelihood of life arising on those planets, and the probability of that life developing into intelligent beings capable of communication.

What are some of the requirements for a planet to support life?

In addition to being located in the habitable zone of a star, a planet must also have a stable and suitable atmosphere, liquid water, and a source of energy to support life. It is also thought that the presence of a large moon to stabilize the planet's orbit and magnetic field may be important for the development and maintenance of life.

What is the Fermi paradox and how does it relate to the search for extraterrestrial life?

The Fermi paradox is the apparent contradiction between the high likelihood of extraterrestrial civilizations existing in the universe and the lack of evidence for their existence. Some possible explanations for this paradox include the idea that intelligent life may be rare, that civilizations may not last long enough to be detected, or that they may not be interested in communicating with other civilizations.

What are some of the methods used to search for extraterrestrial life?

Some methods used to search for extraterrestrial life include listening for radio signals from other civilizations, looking for biosignatures in the atmospheres of exoplanets, and sending probes or spacecraft to other planets and moons in our solar system to search for evidence of microbial life. Scientists also study extremophiles, organisms that can survive in extreme environments on Earth, as potential models for life on other planets.