I hope this helps. Good luck!

In summary, a 200-turn coil with a diameter of 4.0 cm and a resistance of 2.0 Ω is connected to a 1.0 μF capacitor and held in a horizontal plane while the capacitor is discharged. The coil is then rotated 180°, causing a change in flux. The induced emf can be found using the change in flux and Ohm's law, and the voltage across the capacitor can be determined using the induced emf and the value of the capacitor. The correct answer is 12V.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

The magnetic field at one place on the earth’s surface is 55 μT in strength and tilted 60°
down from horizontal. A 200-turn coil having a diameter of 4.0 cm and a resistance of 2.0 Ω
is connected to a 1.0 μF capacitor rather than to a current meter. The coil is held in a
horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. The coil is then quickly rotated 180° so that
the side that had been facing up is now facing down. Afterward, what is the voltage across
the capacitor? [Hint: use I=dq/dt

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi[/tex]=ABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
Vc=Q/C
Vl=-L(di/dt)
Vc=-Vl
I=[tex]\Phi[/tex]/L
[tex]\Phi[/tex]=N[tex]\Phi[/tex]per coil

The Attempt at a Solution

ok wat i did was find flux per coil=[tex]\pi[/tex]r2Bcos[tex]\theta[/tex]=3.45x10-8
then flux=3.45x10-8*200=6.9x10-6=L(di/dt)=Q/C...
but that can't be right coz i know the answer is 12V... can someone please help me, I've been on this for 4 or hours and its 3am almost... due in tomoz... please someone help...

Physics news on Phys.org
please somone help

no help?

Hi frederick08,

fredrick08 said:

Homework Statement

The magnetic field at one place on the earth’s surface is 55 μT in strength and tilted 60°
down from horizontal. A 200-turn coil having a diameter of 4.0 cm and a resistance of 2.0 Ω
is connected to a 1.0 μF capacitor rather than to a current meter. The coil is held in a
horizontal plane and the capacitor is discharged. The coil is then quickly rotated 180° so that
the side that had been facing up is now facing down. Afterward, what is the voltage across
the capacitor? [Hint: use I=dq/dt

Homework Equations

[tex]\Phi[/tex]=ABcos[tex]\theta[/tex]
Vc=Q/C
Vl=-L(di/dt)
Vc=-Vl
I=[tex]\Phi[/tex]/L
[tex]\Phi[/tex]=N[tex]\Phi[/tex]per coil

The Attempt at a Solution

ok wat i did was find flux per coil=[tex]\pi[/tex]r2Bcos[tex]\theta[/tex]=3.45x10-8

I don't believe this number is right; it looks like you are using the wrong angle. Since the coil is horizontal, you need to find the vertical component of the field to find the flux through the coil.

then flux=3.45x10-8*200=6.9x10-6=L(di/dt)=Q/C...

Multiplying by 200 is right; once you find the correct flux per coil this will give you the total flux passing through the coil. (However the result will not equal L(di/dt) or Q/C.)

But you still have more to do. Remember that the magnitude of the induced emf in terms of average values is

[tex]
{\cal E}=\frac{\Delta\Phi}{\Delta t}
[/tex]

(it's the magnitude because I've dropped the minus sign). So [tex]{\cal E}[/tex] is the induced emf in volts.

So first you you need the change in the flux [itex]\Delta\Phi[/itex]. You have already found the initial flux [itex]\Phi[/itex], so what is [itex]\Delta\Phi[/itex] in this problem (since the coil is flipping over)?

You can use Ohm's law to replace the [itex]{\cal E}[/itex], and also use the hint given in the problem (in terms of averaged values it would be

[tex]
I=\frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}
[/tex]

You have already shown that you know you are looking for the quantity [itex]Q/C[/itex], so you should be able to get the answer.

but that can't be right coz i know the answer is 12V... can someone please help me, I've been on this for 4 or hours and its 3am almost... due in tomoz... please someone help...

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units called henries (H).

2. How is inductance related to flux?

Inductance is directly proportional to the amount of flux that passes through a closed circuit. The more flux that passes through the circuit, the higher the inductance will be.

3. What is flux?

Flux is the measure of the strength of a magnetic field. It is measured in units called webers (Wb).

4. How does capacitance differ from inductance?

Capacitance is the measure of an object's ability to store electrical energy in the form of an electric field, while inductance is the measure of an object's ability to store electrical energy in the form of a magnetic field.

5. What factors affect the capacitance and inductance of a circuit?

The capacitance of a circuit is affected by the distance between the plates of a capacitor, the surface area of the plates, and the type of material used. The inductance of a circuit is affected by the number of turns in a coil, the material of the core, and the shape of the coil.