Is the Sun Anchored? | Experiments & Feedback

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the sun being anchored in its place relative to the planets. The initial assumption is that the sun is anchored, but it is then questioned based on Newton's third law and the gravitational forces of the planets. The idea of barycentres is introduced and it is explained that while the sun is not at the center of the solar system, its position is constantly changing due to the effects of the planets, with Jupiter having the largest impact. A helpful website is shared to further understand this concept.
Oscar Wilde
By "Is the sun anchored" I am referring to its place relative to the planets.

I am pretty sure the answer is yes, as the planets also exert a gravitational force upon the sun (Newton's third law). This would cause the sun to "move" somewhat, no matter how small the force exerted. Then again, I may be completely wrong. I think my general statement is right because I performed a few experiments online with a similar solar-system like structure.

All feedback appreciated,

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Oscar Wilde said:
By "Is the sun anchored" I am referring to its place relative to the planets.

I am pretty sure the answer is yes, as the planets also exert a gravitational force upon the sun (Newton's third law). This would cause the sun to "move" somewhat, no matter how small the force exerted. Then again, I may be completely wrong. I think my general statement is right because I performed a few experiments online with a similar solar-system like structure.

All feedback appreciated,

Thanks!

Doesn't your logic show that the answer is no? If the planets exert a gravitational force on the sun, causing motion, then the sun wouldn't be anchored.

Yes I am pretty sure it does move but I wanted to make sure I was not misunderstanding Newton's third law or something of that nature

Two objects orbit around their common centre of gravity - called the barycentre (or barycenter if you drive on the wrong side of the road)
The Earth-moon barycentre is a point inside the Earth - about half way to the centre.

For the sun all the planets in the solar system have their own effec ton the position and so it is complicated to work out and is constantly changing - but ALMOST all of the effect comes from Jupiter, the sun-jupiter barycentre is just outside the sun's surface so the sun isn't really at the centre of the solar system.

Thank you very much! I'll have to investigate barycentres more

Wow Tony, I investigated the site and found it to be very informative. I was surprised at the order of effects, thanks for sharing the url with me.

The other online models you refer to in the OP most likely did fix the position of the sun at the center. This is a decent approximation and makes the math much easier. But these are just little java programs, not experiments.

1. Is the Sun anchored in place?

No, the Sun is not anchored in place. It is constantly moving and orbiting around the center of the Milky Way galaxy.

2. How do scientists study the Sun's movement?

Scientists use various methods to study the Sun's movement, including telescopes, satellites, and spacecraft. They also analyze data from solar flares, sunspots, and other solar phenomena.

3. Can the Sun's movement be influenced by other objects?

Yes, the Sun's movement can be influenced by other objects, such as planets and other stars. However, the Sun's massive size and gravitational pull make its movement relatively stable.

4. Have there been any experiments to test the Sun's anchoring?

There have been numerous experiments and observations to test the Sun's movement and anchoring. These include tracking the Sun's position over time, studying its magnetic field, and analyzing its gravitational interactions with other objects.

5. What feedback have scientists received about the Sun's anchoring?

Scientists have received a lot of feedback about the Sun's movement and anchoring, both from their own observations and from the scientific community. This ongoing feedback helps to refine our understanding of the Sun's behavior and its place in the universe.