Relative Velocity and Acceleration

In summary, Heather's Corvette has a higher acceleration than Jill's Jaguar. They are 5.50 seconds apart and Heather's Corvette is 3.20 meters per second faster than Jill's Jaguar.
pberardi

Homework Statement

Heather in her Corvette accelerates at the rate of <3.20, -2.00>m/s^2, while Jill in her Jaguar accelerates at <1.00, 3.20>m/s^2. They both start from rest at the origin of an xy coordinate system. After 5.50 s, (a) what is Heather's speed with respect to Jill, (b) how far apart are they, and (c) what is Heather's acceleration relative to Jill?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Vhj = Vh - Vj = 3.77 - 3.35 = .421
[(3.77cos(327.9))i + (3.77sin(327.9))j] - [(3.35cos(72.6))i + 3.35sin(72.6))j
= 2.19i - 5.20j
magnitude is 5.64

I really don't know if this is correct and how it fits into the problem of getting the distance at 5.5 seconds and the speed at 5.50 seconds. Can someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you determine the |acceleration| you can use ordinary kinematic means to determine d and v.

D = 1/2*|a|*t2

V = Vo + a*t

(but Vo is 0)

What about the speed? The answer .42 is incorrect. Did I calculate correctly?

pberardi said:
What about the speed? The answer .42 is incorrect. Did I calculate correctly?

I didn't check your math.

I wouldn't do it that way.

For V just multiply by the scalar 5.5 to get the Vx,y at 5.5 and then do the vector difference to determine the relative |v|.

Part c is the easiest to do because you just take the vector difference and you get the relative a(x,y). Then calculate |a| and apply the kinematic equation.

How do I get the acceleration? I would normally differentiate but I don't see how in this problem. Sorry for the bother.

pberardi said:
How do I get the acceleration? I would normally differentiate but I don't see how in this problem. Sorry for the bother.

Acceleration is a vector, just like velocity.

The relative acceleration then is the vector difference right?

Just like relative velocity is a vector difference. Speed is the scalar of V, or |V|.

The distance at any time can be found simply from kinematics by 1/2*|a|*t2 since they both started from rest.

I'm sorry I just don't get this. I do understand part c, but how to get part a and b in terms of kinematics and vectors is just too confusing for me to understand right now. I don't know why the answer .42 is incorrect. Can you try to explain it?

You are given the acceleration in x,y.

For Helen = 3.20 i - 2.0 j

Using V = a*t at 5.5 sec that makes Helen's velocity = 17.6 i - 11 j

Now figure Jill. And then figure your relative velocity.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and describes their movement relative to each other.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to subtract the velocity of the reference object from the velocity of the moving object. The resulting value is the relative velocity of the moving object in relation to the reference object.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of an object in relation to a fixed point or frame of reference.

4. How does acceleration affect relative velocity?

If an object is accelerating, its relative velocity will change over time. This is because the object's speed and/or direction of motion will be changing in relation to the other object.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be positive or negative depending on the direction of motion of the two objects. A positive relative velocity means the objects are moving away from each other, while a negative relative velocity means they are moving towards each other.