What are some potential research topics in optics for a masters degree?

In summary: I have a feeling my prof may be more willing to let me pursue a research topic if it is something he is interested in.
krindik
Hi,
I graduated in Telecommunications but I was more keen on programming/software related areas so worked as a Software Engineer for 2 years.

To pursue my masters I reached out to a professor and submitted a proposal related to an image processing frame work. I was accepted but when I enquired, he asked me to get thorough in optics may be because I did Telecommunications and image processing is related to optics as well.

I went through some books and brushed my memories in communications but found difficult to select a suitable research topic. Could you suggest a good research topic related to optics? I would prefer to a research more related to simulating/modelling (perhaps that explores some area in optics) rather than one that require lab experiments.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds more like the kind of question that you should talk about with your thesis advisor. What work as he done in the field and what interests does he have? What did he not like about the project you proposed?

Thanks for the reply.

My prof's research interests are mainly in optics and photonics.
some are:
Silicon optical amplifiers
Nano-wire lasers
Optical beam based cytometry
etc.

I was wondering whether you could suggest some particular area which requires modelling/simulation.

Since my knowledge in photonics/optics is quite limited(though I have reasonable background in electromagnetics/communication systems) I would really appreciate if you could point me in some direction so that I can discuss with my prof. further. For example if you have worked with these areas you may be able to point out some area that can be further explored.

Thanks

Photonic crystals are interesting, but I don't know if your professor does any work in that area.

What kind of physics background do you have? Theoretical work in photonics and solid state optics isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Thank you very much.

I majored in telecommunications and I have a reasonable background in EM waves/communications systems/waveguides etc. though not much in semi conductor devices, silicon crystals.

What about some simulation/modelling of waveguides?

My prof is also interested in
Brillouin lasers and Raman amplifiers
Noninvasive sensing using near infrared and Raman spectroscopy
Stress and strain induced optical anisotropy in biological cells and tissue

His work is mainly concentrated in simulation and theoretical modelling but not experimental work.

Really appreciate if you would point me in correct direction

1. What is the importance of choosing a research topic for a masters degree?

Choosing a research topic for a masters degree is crucial as it sets the foundation for your entire research journey. It allows you to focus on a specific area of study, develop critical thinking skills, and contribute to the existing body of knowledge in your field.

2. How do I choose the right research topic for my masters degree?

Choosing the right research topic for your masters degree requires careful consideration. Start by brainstorming areas of interest, reviewing current literature, and discussing potential topics with your supervisor. It's important to choose a topic that aligns with your career goals and is feasible within the given timeframe.

3. Can I change my research topic during my masters degree?

Yes, it is possible to change your research topic during your masters degree. However, it is recommended to discuss it with your supervisor and ensure that the change is feasible and aligns with your program requirements. Changing your topic may also affect the timeline for completing your degree.

4. How do I narrow down my research topic?

Narrowing down your research topic involves identifying a specific research problem within your broader area of interest. This can be done by reviewing current literature, consulting with experts in the field, and conducting a pilot study. It's important to ensure that your research question is clear, focused, and can be answered within the scope of your masters degree.

5. What are some resources for finding potential research topics for a masters degree?

There are several resources available for finding potential research topics for a masters degree. These include academic journals, conferences, research databases, and online resources such as research topic generators. It's also helpful to keep up with current events and developments in your field of study for potential research ideas.